add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen Memory upgrade path?

SeriousG
  • 24 months ago

Hey I am just finishing a ryzen7 1800x build and I am getting ready to pull the trigger and buy my DRAM. I am going to be using it for 3ds max, the adobe CC stuff, Realflow and Unity/Unreal engine game environment development stuff. I actually spend more time making games than playing them. So the focus of the build is 3DS MAX.

Here is what I have so far: ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor RADEON PRO WX 7100

Along with a bunch of other parts ie: Crucial - MX500 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive and a pending at least 1TB Samsung m.2 depending on current prices as result of the 970's coming to market.

For now I am going to boot from the MX500 2TB and get my software ecosystem imported established and thriving. I should state that my intention is to have 64GB of ram running at the highest speed I can achieve while remaining rock solid stable. I had originally planned to drop in two 16GB sims for a total of 32GB on build day then go on a shopping spree on black Friday and fill the rest of the slots. I don't see many or any ryzen7 systems with 64GB of ram being built but then again it seems not many people have my focused needs.

So here are my questions: *1. What are my chances of achieving 3200mhz across 64GB of DDR4? I am well aware of the whole latency thing and am willing to spring for 14cas Gskill if it will work close to or at 3200mhz and well above 2400mhz with 64GB installed.

*2. Do I stand a better chance of reaching my ram speed goals if I purchase my DRAM kit all at once as in get all 64GB at once in one package instead of buying identical ram down the road?

I know these are first world problems and quibbling over how I spend well over $5000.00CAD on my computer seems like a minor problem within the big picture but you guys like games. Right? Someone has to spend hours making those games. Like me.

So any help will be appreciated and I promise to continue to make cool stuff for you to blow up, kill and explore with epic effects.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 3 points

What are my chances of achieving 3200mhz across 64GB of DDR4?

About 1%.

The 1800X memory controller is rated to operated at 1866MT/s with that configuration of memory, so you're asking for a 71.5% overclock out of the 1800X's memory controller... Not likely.

I am well aware of the whole latency thing and am willing to spring for 14cas Gskill if it will work close to or at 3200mhz and well above 2400mhz with 64GB installed.

What latency thing?

FYI: Trying to push high clock speeds with a FULL load (4 ranks per channel installed), is going to be a mess, but LOOSER timings will be your friend to try to eek out higher speeds with that much load.

Try loosening up to like 18-20-20 or something like that to get more clock speed.

I think 2400-2666 is a more realistic overclock possibility for the 1800X with a full 64GB loaded.

Do I stand a better chance of reaching my ram speed goals if I purchase my DRAM kit all at once as in get all 64GB at once in one package instead of buying identical ram down the road?

Yes, I'd say your chances of reaching your 3200MT/s goal with all 4 sticks purchased in a kit together at the same time is 1%, while purchasing them at different times eliminates your 1% chance completely.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

What are my chances of achieving 3200mhz across 64GB of DDR4?

If you consult the Ram QVL List of the board and buy tested ram modules regardless how much they cost.

However, the QVL list of that board uses only quad kit modules up to 32GB of ram. (so 4x8GB)

You want 4x16GB. So, that's a gamble.

Do I stand a better chance of reaching my ram speed goals if I purchase my DRAM kit all at once as in get all 64GB at once in one package instead of buying identical ram down the road?

Theoretically, the first one.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks mark5916 and Allan_M_Systems for your feed back. I did notice that neither one of you have posted builds so I appreciate your "educated guesses"... Or I would love to see photos of your ryzen7 builds. Real explanations or Links to back up your opinions would be appreciated.

mark5916 the board actually specifies 4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz ECC and non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-EXTREME/specifications/

Of course I have looked at the QVL's of both ASUS and GSKILL as Gskill has posted QVL's of their own to cover stuff that ASUS hasn't had time to explore. Also I know people have been dropping in Gskill 16GB pairs and getting 3200mhz or atleast 2933mhz without much struggle on the Crosshair VI family of boards so I am hoping to hear back from experienced x370 builders.

Here is some more of information I have been working with:

I feel totally comfortable with Several of the Gskill Kits with 14 14 14 34 Timings at 3200mhz seem like the ones I would likely go for if I am going to buy them at separate times. If buying two kits over time will work.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Pz648d/gskill-tridentz-series-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c14d-32gtzsw or something like that.

The next choice on my list is the G.Skill - Flare X 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2933 Memory kit. It has those magic timings 14 14 14 34 as well and is a Ryzen focused kit but for the Threadripper. Gskill has a qvl that lists only x399.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/bwc48d/gskill-flare-x-64gb-4-x-16gb-ddr4-2933-memory-f4-2933c14q-64gfx

Honestly there are a bunch of options from "Gskill qualified" (my mother is board listed in the qvl) DRAM once I decide to drop down to a 2400mhz kit. If I am going to sacrifice top speed for a listed kit it might as well be pretty. It has 15 15 15 35 timings. It is not listed on parts picker so here is the Gskill link.

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2400c15q-64gtzrx

As I said once I drop down to a 2400mhz kit I have options. There are a hand full of flareX kits that list my motherboard and a couple of Corsair kits as well.

The difference in price between a 2400mhz kit and a 3200mhz kit is about $300.00CAD so I am looking for real advice. If there is a reason why buying my ram at two different times will make a difference let me know. Please drop in some links or offer an explanation.

As I said I am a 3D guy so I am off to the land of 3ds Max for another session of extruding polygons and tweaking vertices. I am looking forward to not having to wait while my viewport catches up to my mind every time I want to spin my full model.

Happy Fragin

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking around on forums like http://forums.cgarchitect.com/82401-does-ram-speed-matters-rendering.html it seems RAM speed in 3DS MAX is not that important. What is important would be stability. So 2666mhz and 3000mhz max would be the target to aim in my personal opinion and findings on the net.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Enrico411 Thanks for your time and the link. Seriously! Awesome thread. I have been a member on cgarchitect.com since 98 or something like that. The hardware forum for 3D used to be king When Jeff Mottle was the admin. He helped advise me for a few systems personally. I went through the post there and did not find this. I really appreciate this because you just saved me some serious cash which I am going to spend on my NVMe's.

May your frame rates double exponentially. May your loads fall away to infinitesimally diminished times.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem Have fun building this pc and if you have more questions just ask ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube