add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Unusual hard drive showing in "My PC," getting notifications of low space (Windows 1803)

hypergalaxy8
  • 24 months ago

https://gyazo.com/8601ee9634081ef9697235245b044373

I do not even have a second hard drive so what is Local Disk (D:) all about?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

That's almost definitely a second partition on the same physical drive, not an indication of another hard drive. You can verify this by checking the partition editor. (Go to "Create and format hard disk partitions" to verify.)

Have you manually stored anything on D:? If it's what I think it is (a partition created when you installed Windows), it seems unusual for it to be running low on space.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven’t put anything on it myself.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you know how I can stop the notifications from happening?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

You could try increasing the size of the partition by about 100-200MB. Be sure to backup all data on the drive (good practice in general) before messing with partition sizes.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure how to do that. There isn't even anything on the drive when I went to look at it...

Also, I'm not the only one with the problem. I saw Ninja with the problem.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Like root said it’s another partition if it’s anything like my gaming laptops I have an extra partition that’s there for system recovery under D drive.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

If it looks empty when you go into the drive you can also go to folder options and click show hidden files and folders. That’s how I found out my D drives were recovery partitions. Had windows installation and other things in it.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Also if you use Dameon tools to get games make sure you don’t have anything mounted or it can also show up there. I’ve had it happen.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows likes to make these it seems. My laptop and desktop do this too, I think it's something Windows is doing. I would just leave the thing alone. It's not even 1GB, so there really isn't a point in messing with it.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

You have 1 physical HDD in your system, the allocated space on that drive is split up into logical drives with each given a drive letter or name.

As to why it's full, its probably filled with windows updates or system restore points. There are software options you can use to make the partition larger by taking some from C: and giving it to D: But exercise caution and backup your important files before trying anything like this!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube