add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

550w PSU good enough?

mjaj
  • 22 months ago

Hi all,

I'm planning on upgrading my system slowly. I was thinking of starting with the GPU...then PSU... then a new monitor.

I want to get a gtx 1080ti in the near future. I know 600w psu is minimum recommended. But I want to see if my current 550w is doable for now. I have a SeaSonic G 5500W that I had for 3.5 years.

current system and probably wont change: - i7 4790k paired with hyper 212 evo cooler (stock clocks) - 4x HyperX fury 8gb 1600mhz - Samsung 850 m.2 ssd - 1TB hdd - 6x system fans

It's best to play it safe and buy a new PSU with the GPU, but wanted to ask if this is possible...

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

550W will be more then enough for that pc.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I know 600w psu is minimum recommended.

GPU manufacturers look at worst-case scenarios for that recommendation. They need to account for consumers with very power hungry CPUs and the rest of the build, as well as consumers using crappy power supplies that can’t completely deliver its power rating.

Your build would consume ~ 330w under load, your power supply is pretty good and able to deliver 540w on the 12v rail (at 40°C).

So you’re fine.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

You should be fine with 550W with this build and a GTX 1080 Ti, to include being able to overclock your GPU.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

The Seasonic G 550W has a 5 year limited warranty. Yours should still be within warranty and 550W is easily enough for your build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube