add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Overheating Laptop

MarkoPT
  • 21 months ago

I've posted before regarding my laptop giving me the BSOD, but I managed to fix that by replacing the old HDD with an SSD and upgrading to windows 10, partnered with a brand new HDD. I also increased the ram from 6GB to 8GB. Now the laptop is between 40-50 degrees celsius idle and can go up to 80 degress when doing something as small as watching a youtube video. Bare in mind this was in a hot room, but that 80 degrees seems a bit much.

I plan on replacing the thermal paste since the laptop is coming to be 6years old, and has been used for gaming for the first 4 years of it's life.

If you want to know the processor its an Intel i7-3610QM and running a GeForce GT 650M.

I have Arctic MX4 thermal paste. How will be the optimal way to apply the paste?

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you are talking about getting to the CPU itself, it is pretty much the same as applying thermal paste to a dellided desktop CPU:

Use about 1/2 of the amount compared to a CPU with an IHS. You can just apply it a little bigger than pea sized or like this guide for a MacBook pro:

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/screen-shot-2016-05-15-at-11-40-45-jpg.631333/

btw Pretty decent choice of thermal paste :)

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I've read that the rice grain method is better than the pea size method. I've never attempted replacing the thermal paste on a laptop so I'm just slightly cautious.

And thanks :)

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes the rice grain is a more accurate description of the size. Thank you for the correction!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube