add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Normal temps for Ryzen 5 1600 (not overclocked)

WishUponDaLottery
  • 20 months ago

So I just recently built my new pc and during the process I had a lot of trouble with the CPU cooler that comes with the 1600. It wouldn't screw in properly which led me to take it off and refit it a few times. Anyway, I was just wondering what the normal temps are because I'm having a hard time deciding if I should replace the thermal paste. I've only really tested it idle and this is currently the temps I am receiving.

Idle- lowest: 31C highest: 44C

Your thoughts and advice are needed and very appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

"Idle" often isn't entirely idle, so I wouldn't have a problem with those temps. Beat it up with something like prime95 and as long as you can keep peak Tdie below 80, I think you are OK. (The "cpu temperature" reading is often Tctrl, which I think is Tdie+10.)

As a data point, my 2700X will show 50-55C (Tctrl) in the BIOS, but idle temps running Linux will generally be in the mid to high 30's - thus, essentially room temperature Tdie. One might think that sitting in the BIOS is idling but for my MB, apparently not.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Those temps are fine for idle. Idle temperatures are really finicky, they tend to jump up and down randomly without any apparent cause. They aren't a reliable way of determining if you have adequate cooling or not.

What you should be doing to ensure your temps are fine is running a stress test like Prime95 or Aida64 and checking your load temps. As long as you're at or below about 80C at load (let it run for a good half an hour or more before you stop the test to let the heat build up and reach capacity in the cooler) than your cooling is fine. Technically you can go a little higher, but generally accepted safe practice is 80C or below for load. You shouldn't really ever reach those temps in real usage anyways unless you're running long rendering or encoding/decoding jobs like 3D content creation or video editing.

In conclusion, your load temps are way more important (and a more accurate measurement) in determining if your processor is adequately cooled or not.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you ever had a problem while stress testing a cpu? I have never done it before and I’m afraid I might mess up my system some how.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The processor overtemp protection should prevent any real damage, but if you want to be cautious, run a stress test and monitor Tctrl or Tdie for the first 10 minutes or so. (e.g. prime95's standard blend test doesn't really heat my CPU until the second batch of tests, the 8K's.) If you see temps zooming through the 80's and the heatsink isn't at least a little warm at the base then you likely have a mounting issue of some kind, and you might want to stop the test and investigate. My first attempt at mounting my cooler I saw temps run up to 85 pretty quickly and then stabilize there. After remounting with the pea blob method for the paste it will still hit low 80's at the max, but more slowly and drops more quickly after that test batch ends, so I clearly did not achieve ideal coverage with the thermal grease the first time.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks! Do you suggest using HWMonitor when doing a stress test or something else?

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I used either Ryzen Master or HWiNFO64. The latter is simplest IMO but make sure you have an up-to-date version, I understand there was an issue with older versions that annoyed the super-I/O chip and caused freezes or something.

Mid-80's for Tctrl for the hardest parts of prime95 is OK but it shouldn't sit above 80 the whole time.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

One last thing. I will most likely try to stress test my CPU tomorrow and I was wondering how long you suggest I do it for? Also I will check out Ryzen Master for monitoring.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

For simplicity's sake I would say Ryzen Master, you get the temp displayed big and bold right where you can see it. HWiNFO64 is more robust and detailed, but you have a lot to look at and would be my second recommendation. I'm not a big fan of HWMonitor myself

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Only when overclocked or something was seriously wrong with the cooler (like the fan failed, not tightened enough, forgot thermal paste, etc.). Even then, you will know something is wrong before the components are actually damaged as long as you're paying attention, you'll see the temps get really high or the computer will crash/freeze.

As long as you're running at stock you should be fine. If the computer freezes or crashes or the temps start climbing over 80 C while stress testing, stop the test and turn it off (hard shutdown if you have to such as if it froze) and start troubleshooting to figure out what's wrong. Checking the CPU fan is properly attached and plugged in and reseating and/or reapplying thermal paste to the cooler are usually the first two steps.

Just pay attention to it and you'll be fine. Modern components are good at keeping themselves from frying as long as you're not screwing with voltages, etc. Don't be afraid of it, just focus on it.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it! It has definitely reduced stress on me! :)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course! That's what the forum is for!

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Just got done with the stress test using Prime95! It was a success! The temps only reached to 70C then slowly went back down to 69C through the whole 30 minutes of testing. Thanks for the help!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube