add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What does this incompatibility mean?

psatt
  • 20 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PtyFKB The incompatibility says "Some Intel Z170 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Kaby Lake-S CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."

How do I know if my BIOS needs an update? Or does this mean there is no hope of using this or better CPU's?

This is my first build, and I have an i3 in right now but want an upgrade, but not sure what exactlyI have to do here. Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

It means you may need a CPU standard compatible with the board to update your BIOS so it can support the i7-7700k. Since you got that i3 with your board right now, you can update your BIOS and it should work.

Leave your i3 in, update your BIOS, then it can support the 7700k.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks for you help :)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course!

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Updating a BIOS isn't difficult, you can Google how to do it on your specific motherboard and easily make it happen. It's usually just a matter of putting the update file on a USB drive and booting the computer into BIOS with the USB drive in a specific port and applying the update. Quick and easy.

The only issue you might have is if you're ordering all the parts new and the motherboard isn't updated to the latest BIOS version, in which case you won't be able to update the BIOS because the computer won't boot without a compatible CPU. In that case you would need to find a CPU just to put into the board long enough to apply the update, after which you can just swap it out for your real CPU.

If you know anyone that has a computer with a compatible CPU that's willing to help you can literally just take the CPU out of their computer, put it onto your board, apply the update and put their CPU back.

Failing all of that, a lot of MOBO manufacturers will accept RMAs of their boards for them to update it for you and ship it back, you'll probably have to pay shipping though.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for help

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem friend

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube