add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can i try dreadlocks?

misterwizard1325

18 months ago

Hey everyone sorry for the weird title, at the time of writing this I'm very co,fused and haven't been able to sleep comfortably so I can't think as best as I can so I apologize for that. But anyways my question, and why I ask this question. -would it be ok if I try the dreadlock hairstyle? The reason I ask this is because I see a lot of controversy online and in the media about this subject and how it's cultural appropriation for white people (like me) to wear this hairstyle.now I'm not saying that "oh it's just hair" I understand and I've done my research on the style and the past about it, and to some people it may be disrespectful and I'm sorry if I do make anyone mad, again I'm confused about the whole thing. The other reason is because my girlfriend happens to be black/ African american, and when I asked her about it, she kind of had mixed emotions about it, and again went into the cultural appropriation side of it and I immediately felt bad for asking her about it. So I thought I would ask the helpful community here to hopefully get some insight as to whether or not I can try it, because the last thing I want is to get them and then get called out for appropriating a culture, which I don't want to do. - thanks in advance Ra.

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 9 points

The term 'cultural appropriation' is very backwards, and I pay no mind to those who yell it at me if I do something that is 'cultural appropriation'.

The people that claim cultural appropriation are usually the ones that say Europeans don't have a culture, therefore this cannot happen to them, and no one can be racist against whites.. I get tired of hearing that.

This may be a very radical opinion, but if you're gonna live in the same society, take your culture there, then it's only fair that people in that same society may enjoy your culture too, as they do ours.

TL;DR: you should get dreadlocks if you want to. I know some guys who look really, really good with it, and they're not African American..

• 18 months ago
  • 5 points

cultural appropriation for white people

That's stupid. The Vikings and other Nordic tribes were thought to have braided their hair as well. Even if they hadn't, culture is meant to be shared, not horded. Otherwise that culture will eventually disappear.

she kind of had mixed emotions about it, and again went into the cultural appropriation side of it and I immediately felt bad for asking her about it.

We shouldn't be worried about others celebrating the culture of our ancestors. We should, instead, be happy they deem it worth celebrating.

BUT......if you want my advice, don't go with dreads. They are next to unwashable and get to a point where they stink to high hell (have hung out with many a hippy / prison I worked at had lots of people with dreads). They don't really look bad in my opinion, but they are just basically unmanageable.

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

cultural appropriation....

A bs word with 0 meaning.

Anyway if you want dreadlocks just go for it. Dreadlocks are not a black only thing. During the Bronze Age and Iron Age, many peoples in the Near East, Asia Minor, Caucasus, East Mediterranean and North Africa such as the Sumerians, Elamites, Ancient Egyptians, Ancient Greeks, Akkadians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Hittites, Amorites, Mitanni, Hattians, Hurrians, Arameans, Eblaites, Israelites, Phrygians, Lydians, Persians, Medes, Parthians, Chaldeans, Armenians, Georgians, Cilicians and Canaanites/Phoenicians/Carthaginians have art from people who have dreadlocks.

And the earliest evidence for dreadlocks come from Vedic scriptures of India which are thousands of years old jaa which are almost exclusively worn by holy men and women. It has been part of a religious practice for Shiva followers.

So people shouting cultural appropriation should invest more time in learning some history.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadlocks

• 18 months ago
  • 5 points

EVERYONE shouting cultural appropriation is guilty of doing it themselves. E ery mundane thing we do was started by some other people long ago. You live in a house? Cool... Some tribe somewhere was first to make that a trend. See how that works? The whole concept is bs. It's called evolution as a society.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for helping me out, this is really the kind of answer I was looking for, I did read when doing research that they were worn by all different races and what not, so I might try them to see how I feel about it. Thanks,again

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Isn't the reason for countries like America existing for cultures to mix and share. It hard to make a good soup when you have the cilantro or celery all clumped up and chopped. If you first dice it up, The flavors will be able to mix with the rest of the soup, And it will taste better then having a kinda bland soup, Then suddenly biting into a massive glob of cilantro.

Plus as Tragik pointed out, Vikings did have braided hair similar to what dreadlocks are, Although from what I understand dreadlocks are typically a lot longer than the depictions of the vikings, And vikings also in some cases braided their beards. Then again this could be vastly exaggerated depictions of vikings, But the point still stands that long braided hair on men is not specific to african, or african-american culture.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Nullarc, we really didn’t need that analogy... It’s going in my cringe compilation now! :)

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Cringe. It's what I do....

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, you’re so tall; if you didn’t cringe your head would hit the ceiling.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

At the end of the day it's your body. Your hair. Nobody can tell you what you can and can't do with it. But you should be respectful, and also brace yourself for someone being upset by it.

Despite having a strong association with black culture in the US, dreadlocks are and have been worn by a wide variety of people throughout history.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

If your asking if you would look right with it, that's subjective. Do you.

If your asking if it's good for the hair, then usually not. Pass.

If your asking if the bs opinion of idiots about the political correctness of a hairstyle should actually matter, then no it does not and they should be forcefully put in their place. Rock that ****.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

My girlfriend has a friend who is white who has dreadlocks and the only people that complain about her having dreadlocks is white people, black people actually walk up to her and compliment her on her dreadlocks. So go for it.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't need societies permission to pick a hair style. Who ever it offends was not going to accept you anyway.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm pretty sure nobody will care. Even if they do, that's their fault for getting upset over a hairstyle. Do what you want and don't let some random SJW convince you that getting dreadlocks is a crime against humanity.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Do whatever the hell you want, as long as you don't hurt anybody or yourself. It's your life. You're in control. Have fun.

• 18 months ago
  • -3 points

Lol. Thhis whole topic is b.s..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube