add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Smart to plug CPU cooler fan into NZXT h400i fan controller vs mobo header?

LordChopps

17 months ago

Hi, I am new to building and don't want to make any big time mistakes.

I have chosen the cryorig h7 as my cpu cooler, but was planning to replace the stock fan with an NZXT aer rgb 120mm (I dont like the look of cryorig's quad lumi h7). This might be a bad idea all on its own, and if so please let me know, but because the aer rgb fans require connection to the hue+ I was wondering it would be alright to daisy chain it along with the other fans into the fan controller on the h400i.

Would the fan still run properly as the cpu heats up? or would plugging it into the cpu fan header be the safer option.

Thanks.

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 3 points

Would the fan still run properly as the cpu heats up? or would plugging it into the cpu fan header be the safer option.

Fan on cpu cooler needs to be connected to cpu fan header...

I have chosen the cryorig h7 as my cpu cooler, but was planning to replace the stock fan with an NZXT aer rgb 120mm (I dont like the look of cryorig's quad lumi h7).

Buying the H7 plus the NZXT aer rgb (36+30) makes no sense as that will get you a much better air cooler.

• 17 months ago
  • 4 points

Not to mention the temperatures will be slightly worse with the Aer fan than the stock fans on the H7 Quad Lumi due to the lower pressure of the 120mm AER compared to the Cryorig stock fan (1.65 H20 vs 1.35 H20)

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Exactly!

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

As the guys suggest, stick with the H7 static pressure fan and use the CPU_FAN header. You can always replace the fan later with something better if its bothering you.

Assuming the alternative method worked in your favour - although not possible as its likely the board requires the CPU_FAN header to be populated in order for the mobo to run. But if it did work, I would not trust NZXTs CAM software (dynamically active at launch) to manage the PWM fan curves as required - for the case fans, its no biggie but for the CPU let the native BIOS config do it's thing.

P.S. CAM SUCKS! lol sorry, just had to release some fuel with current on-going and unresolved issues - a CAM victim here!.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

so if i were to instead replace the stock fan with something like an aer p (2.93 H2O), assuming it fit, I would get a good bit better performance? Like I said I'm new to this, so alot of the numbers and stats I see are confusing to me. The option to buy a better cooler like pegotico said is there, but I love the look of the cryorig lol

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Definitely yes. The important thing is to keep the same amount of static pressure which is what the cooler was optimized around. A higher pressure should help the temperatures a bit but the gain will be a few degrees aside from less noise which is something awe can all enjoy!

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

awesome, thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube