add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Difference between two variants of same EVGA SuperNOVA 550 Gold models

koko191

17 months ago

My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/koko191/saved/PYjHhM (400W)

So I'm thinking of buying a 550W Gold for this one and EVGA SuperNOVA 550 Gold looks like a good fit. I found a similar model, also EVGA 550W Gold in my country but its part number is different.

What I found: 100-GD-0550-V7

What listed here: 220-G3-0550-Y1

I assume they are interchangeable?

And I have to say, SuperNOVA is not a good name for a power supply.

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Different models are from different manufacturers and quality can and does vary widely, so I wouldn't say they are interchangeable even though all power supplies use standardized connections.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

They aren't the same PSU. I'm not 100% sure what the GD series are but I don't think they are the same as the SuperNOVA G3. EVGA makes a whole raft of PSU lines and it's hard to keep them all straight.

I don't think the GD is up to the same quality as the G3 if I'm reading the reviews right. It's probably an OK PSU though.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2 PSUs are not the same quality. Looking at the specs, the G3 is a superior unit in every way possible. The fan is a better one, the operating temperatures are higher, the power system is more efficient and it is a completely modular unit where the GD is a non modular one.

From the posts on the JonnyGuru forums, its seems the GD series should be fine for a PC but its definitely an inferior unit to the G3.

• 17 months ago
  • -3 points

Performance wise the G3 is superior, however its OPP is set too high, so the unit could likely die when faced with a power surge or short circuit. It's better to get a SeaSonic FOCUS Plus.

• 17 months ago
  • 3 points

The review sample at Tomshardware didn't die when hit with a 140% load. It just shut down without damage or explosions. The high OPP may be an issue for continuous load above the PSU's rated power. Spikes shouldn't harm the unit. Not a big deal in my opinion, since OP's system consumes well under 650W.
But I do agree, if functional protections are important to OP there should be better options.

The Focus Plus 550 isn't recommended for a GTX 1080ti system, as seen at the Seasonic FAQ under Installation remark for high power consumption graphics cards.
OPP on the Focus is also rather high at ~135%, but the properly configured OTP compensates.

• 17 months ago
  • -1 points

Not the 650 watt version, at least. The OPP is still set too high, however.

The 1000w version died when testing OPP.

With the 850w version, the external caps casing nearly melted.

The FOCUS' OPP is set high, but it can handle it. On the G3s case, it either couldn't or barely could.

To be quite honest, I don't recommend a PSU unless all protections function properly even under extreme/rare scenarios. That's just me.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube