add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Memory compatibility w/MSI z370 Gaming Pro Carbon

Velda

17 months ago

I'm thorn between:

Corsair's Vengeance RGB PRO (Model: CMW16GX4M2C3000C15W)
GSkill's Trident Z RGB (Model: F4-3200C16D-16GTZR)

My indecision however, is more in terms of compatibility (working at advertised ram speed) rather than looks as I like their RGB effects equally. I plan on buying MSI's z370 Gaming Pro Carbon w/i7 8700k although, compatibility information seems vague. Some people claim it doesn't work at advertising speeds using this motherboard and points me to buy a different one yet, they don't answer a simple question such as 'Have you installed the latest BIOS version?'. Others would say 'It works' and they're clueless if it's running at advertised speed.

Both ram models are missing in the QVL list of that board; it might be outdated.

Anyone using this board and either one of those ram models please tell me, Is it running at advertised speeds (3000 MHz) in your rig? If so, please show me proof so I can have the peace of mind that I can buy my Ram sticks or, if I need to look for another motherboard manufacturer like Asus or Gigabyte? That would be a damn shame though because I loved the aesthetics of this board.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

The motherboard you picked does support 3000 speed RAM. THe thing is that QVL lists will never show every single RAM types. Theres just too many models/brands/speeds/timings to test. Instead, manufacturer tests the ones they have on hand and then, if needed, they adress further incompatibility issues through BIOS updates which is why most people ask whether or not you updated your BIOS.

That being said, its possible the RAM kit you get might be defective or the slots on the motherboard itself might be but the 3000 speed is supported integrally by this motherboard and it lists several single & dual kits of RAM from about all manufacturers so you shouldnt have any problem.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Those modules will work: CMR16GX4M2C3000C15

I don't see the reason why those wouldn't work: CMW16GX4M2C3000C15W

And those modules: F4-3200C16D-16GTZR will definitely work on that board.

And i suggest you to update to the latest BIOS, as it will have support for the upcoming 9th gen. Intel processors and security vulnerabilities updates.

Some people claim it doesn't work at advertising speeds using this motherboard and points me to buy a different one...

Just don't listen to any opinion out there. lol

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you all kindly for your very detailed replies. I am all set now to buy my Ram and this board as well :)

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Good Luck with your build!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube