add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

760 vs 770. Decisions decisions...

TheTekJake
  • 72 months ago

The question that has stumped the PC community ever since the GTX 700 series came out.. A GTX 760 or a GTX 770 for my next build?

Well, I am gonna take a guess it will help if I tell you what I actually plan on using this for. I want to be able to play most games today such as Battlefield 4, Crysis 3, Metro Last Light, and any other new game that comes out, like Titanfall. I use a 1080p monitor at 60Hz, so nothing too intense. Now I have been "gaming" on a MacBook Pro with integrated graphics for almost 2 years, and it is not fun. Because of this, I am not too critical when it comes to how perfect things look, but I assume when I get this PC, I will grow an appreciation for it over time. I will be totally fine if I have to run things at high settings, but I would obviously like to run them at ultra. Right now, I don't have the money for a GTX 770, so I would have to wait a bit longer to even come close to that, but as of now I have the money for a 760. I just want it to be able to play good games at a nice FPS for a couple of years to come, and knowing myself, I will upgrade within two years anyways.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3aHQw This is the build (small form-factor :D) that I plan on doing. If you have some suggestions on other parts, please let me know. I can wait, don't get me wrong. I am just very impatient and I might upgrade my GPU often.

Thanks!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

there is really question at all between a 760 or 770, if you have the money the 770 is a complete no brainer. build looks good and u will want the 770

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, that is true. Obviously if you have the money, you will want to buy it. I guess my question was more if the $100 price difference is worth it in games and such. Do you think it will be worth the extra?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

it is more then worth the extra, especially for the game lineup you have there.

• 72 months ago
  • -1 points

That $100 buys you a huge upgrade. Lol you really need to google a review. Every game you listed will struggle today on a 760. Not to mention 6 months or 1 year down the road.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Not every game, titanfall is an exception and it'll be able to run those all those games more than fine at medium - high settings,

I will be totally fine to run things at high settings

Ultra on crisis and metro will be pushing the card, so best to stay at high for those.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think Titanfall can run at above 60 FPS if it is on medium settings? i would assume I could get at least 40 FPS or so, but I am unsure.

To contradict myself, I will be more than fine running things at even medium settings. I have a friend who has a 690 in his computer yet won't go over medium settings in PS2!

Crysis and Metro will definitely be run at high to medium, even if I get a 770. I'd rather my entire desk not catch on fire from the heat those cards will be spreading running those games!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That is exactly my problem. Spending the extra $100 is probably the best thing I can do, but I am extremely impatient and will obviously need to wait out on the build so I can save some extra cash on the side.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

In all honesty, both GPU's are bomb.. and I feel the the kids who say " the 760 already struggles in today's gaming society blah blah blah" are daft. The 760 is a good card all-round, It CAN handle all games at a solid 40-60fps (where no noticeable frame drop is present)on medium to high settings. yes it it future proof, and no it does not struggle with games, however, if you want to play almost every game at max settings this card isn't going to do it for every game. The 770 by ASUS, which is like $339.99USD($379.99CAD) compared to the ASUS 760 Is a wonderful upgrade all in itself. yes the 760 is future proof, but not high setting future proof. The 770.. for like $80+ more offers more power, so you gain higher fps and more future proof, so you can play games to come at higher settings.

• 72 months ago
  • -3 points

" the kids who say " the 760 already struggles in today's gaming society blah blah blah" are daft"

I feel your way too emo to make that call since I could very well be older than you and aren't "a kid" especially since I have kids of my own. Right there it's shows your ignorance and lack of judgement.

Most every major review site cites the poor performance/price ratio of the 760 compared with the 770. Maybe you need to grow up and stop calling others kids for having a different opinion which happens to be much more grounded in facts over your make believe opinion. Nuff said.

• 72 months ago
  • 3 points

Whoa whoa whoa.. First, calm the hell down. Second, was I talking specifically about YOU? Third, Sorry for using my vocabulary? Finally, stop being hypocritical.

Look, all I stating was a "Personal opinion" about how "I" think the 760 is a good card in general.. of course the 760 doesn't have the "best" P/P when compared with the 770 or other similar cards. What I said was an opinion and only an opinion.. So help me god if I use a word that someone else thinks is wrong... or have a different opinion that someone else.. especially you from what It looks like..

Oh and I didn't know you could have a "make believe opinion".. Huh crazy times a guess. Nuff said.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I would save the money for a 770... just run the integrated graphics on the chip until you can afford a 770 2Gb. You wont need a 4GB on a single monitor. Have you tried looking for used GPUs?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Huh. Thats actually a good suggestion. I would totally buy used/wait. Does everything look ok in the planned build?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything looks good to me, do you plan to overclock? SLI is useless on single monitor gaming [random fact, plus your mom doesnt support cfx/sli anywho]. If you don't plan to/go through the trouble to overclock the CPU and GPU you can save some one on a locked CPU and h87 board. Then you can drop that cooler to a h60/80 and save some additional money.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

80$ difference: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/GaldedRaw/saved/44m8

If you dont plan to/hassel with overclocking.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I like the build you had listed, but I do plan on overclocking. I am gonna need to squeeze that CPU a bit. Overall, this is really for gaming, and of course, watching videos and browsing the web, the usual stuff. I will maybe throw a little video editing here and there but it will never be anything serious.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds good then! If that is the case look to ebay see if you can find some deals on new/used or if your into bidding. I managed to get my CPU 60-80$ cheaper then its listed price.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I am going to try and see if I can also grab a couple of parts on that list in order to make room for an SSD! Thanks for the help!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I purchased the 760 even though people told me to get the 770. I wanted some other things that I needed such as a new keyboard and a better monitor than I currently have. You have to weigh your options and figure out what you really want from the computer. Personally I am fine running on high settings for most of my games. You can also get two 760 and run them in SLI mode.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

How are your overall experiences with it? I personally do need a couple more things than just the PC like a new keyboard but I was just gonna wait out in it. What is your average FPS for games?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I just tested Batman Arkham origins with the recommended settings through GeForce Experience app.

The game was running at 60fps. That is the most my monitor will do. I am planning to purchase a 144hz monitor.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

You should really re-think getting that pc case (imo) for the following reasons. It's unnecessary to be that small. Your components wont receive proper airflow and cooling, thus shorter lifespans. Last, now you have to worry if this or that will fit inside. All for what?

You could still get a smaller case, without the $100 water cooling and buy the 770 now. You shouldn't have to OC that cpu yet, so you could put the 100i cooler on hold for now.

• 72 months ago
  • 3 points

Believe me, I have considered, but unfortunately I need a small case as I have little space on my desk and I cannot put it on the floor as there is no space their either. This is not my first build and I do understand the consequences of using a smaller case, like sacrificing airflow and such, but the size is almost necessary. Along with that, I really enjoy the look of the case, especially where it will sit on my desk.

I was definitely considering skipping the water-cooling for now and buying myself the 770. I am just slightly concerned about the hassle of removing the stock cooler and installing the H100i after everything is assembled. I know it isn't a huge gripe, I am just a little lazy ;)

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

Oh ok fair enough. Just wanted to make sure you were making an informed decision, but your already on top of it. : P

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, I believe I owe you an apology. I had forgotten which case I had put in the forum description. As of now, I actually plan of purchasing the 350D. Everything else remains basically the same, with only the motherboard being swapped for an mATX version.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3b7WH

I recently started thinking about a new build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3f4I2

I call it The Atlas, as it is meant to have the color scheme and look of The Atlas from Titanfall. I can wait on the water-cooling, so that is no problem. Having a bit of trouble with getting it below $1120 with tax. I am having a tough time deciding on the parts I want for this build, as I have to make the best decisions on parts without screwing up.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

I like that build a lot. I dig the parts choices a lot as a gamer and that blacked out look too.

It kind of looks like my build from last year except I added a blue neon cpu fan on the inside.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! I assume you are talking about the blue and black build! I think that is going to be my main choice, partially because I hate the gold of the GTX 770 and it would only fit well in a build like The Atlas, which contains that overall color-scheme. I am still deep in thought about that 770 vs 760. I would be totally up for getting a second one down the road, but I don't know if that is worth it. At that point, I could have had a GTX 780 for the price of the two 760's, and a single card is generally better.

• 72 months ago
  • 0 points

For a little more than a 760 and a little less than a 770 you can have a card that performs between a 770 and a 780 (or better in some cases depending on the specific model card and the games you play)... Get an ATI r9 280x from asus or sapphire. Better bang for the buck.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

In a sudden turn of events, I will be waiting on the H100i and I will be using basically brand new RAM and Hard Drives from a previous build of mine. With the money I am saving with that, I will be getting a 780 :)

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That sounds like an ideal plan. Look into the h105,it just came out for a small price difference and has a much thicker radiator. If it fits your case, it's a better cooler. The h100i is awesome as is, but "if it fits, it sits" lol

• 72 months ago
  • -1 points

Idk hate to sound like a fanboy for NVidia (because competition is obviously awesome for us consumers), but amd all run hotter, thus using a good 50-100watts more than a comparable NVidia. So down the road how much are you really saving with the electic bill in mind?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Valid argument, especially if you run crossfire vs sli. Most people see negligible difference though complete computer game junkies would notice if the log tons of time in games

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube