add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which CPU for rtx 2080ti?

HeyDaddy-

15 months ago

Should I go ahead with 2700x? Strictly gaming with bit of streaming. Will it bottleneck? Gaming at 1440p Gysnc. or go with i7 8700k (they actually raised the price where I am at... Which is Canada)

or wait until 9700k or i9 9900k (I think the i9 will push my budget--so don't think this would be an option unless it has dramatic increase in performance, I'll burn my wallet in).

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 5 points

Technically, the 8700K will push higher FPS most games. Whether that matters depends on a number of factors. When we have a G-sync or Freesync monitor, we no longer have a hard minimum FPS we're trying to shoot for (like say, 144FPS to achieve v-sync on the 144hz display), anything from 90-144FPS+ all winds up looking pretty good at that point since it is all synchronized, so the differences between a 2700X and 8700K are less of a problem.

The 8700K is better for maximizing raw gaming performance. If highest FPS possible is the goal, stick with the 8700K. On the other hand, the arrangement of execution resources in the 2700X makes it very suitable for running other simultaneous compute intensive workloads, like software based H.264 encoding with good quality while gaming (Streaming).

If we overclock the 8700K to 5GHZ+, then the multi-threaded advantages of the 2700X largely vanish, and the 2700X can't really be overclocked so keep that in mind.

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

Get the best performance you can afford in budget without compromising the rest of the build.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

People always downvoting without giving a reason...

+1 cause it makes sense to me.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks.

To Me doesn't matter which they use, but it makes no sense not to pick the best with what they can afford, and compromising on quality just to fit one "Better" part leads to a build not lasting as long.

Edit: In reference to CPU simply because that is your biggest source of performance.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's only a bit of streaming then I'd say get an 8700K, but just make sure you have proper cooling for it. I used an MA620P for a while with a 200W TDP and my temps stayed around 75-80 degrees with occasional spikes of up to 90. A dark rock 4 pro or R1 universal should be good enough. 2700x will net you fewer frames overall when you're not streaming and tbh it's not entirely necessary unless you plan on multitasking frequently on it. The 2600X nets 10% less frames than the 2700X yet it's 50% cheaper. I would personally go with the 8700k (that's actually what I have so there ya go), but the 2600X isn't a bad option either.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

2700X will not bottleneck, I think.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, a i7-9700K (Canada prices) will cost you more than a i7-8700K, if anything of the below is for real.

https://postimg.cc/image/un9whtda3/

A R2700X would also be a good idea.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I use an I7-8700K and a 1080 with a 1400p 144hz G-Sync monitor (Dell S2716DG) and unless games are really pushing the CPU, my CPU rarely reaches 50% usage. Only a few rare games leverages the CPU properly (Dragon Age : Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda are a good example).

Unless you aim for a monitor that displays 200+ frames, I would actually recommend the 8600K unless you need the extra threads for several applications running and/or streaming/recording your gameplay.

I am also from Canada so I feel your pain regarding prices.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I heard i7 8700k has minimal fps/performance advantage in gaming than 2700x at 1440p... is this true?

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

It depends. The 2700 has more cores but current generations of gaming engines are not really suited to leverage more than 2-4 which tends to favor smaller core count CPU with faster core clocks.

The exception to this is when you start taxing the CPU cores with multiple applications running (streaming, gaming, multiple chrome tabs...) and/or using a higher refresh rate monitor.

The Ryzen CPUs are still good for 100fps or so but their architecture makes them less desirable when you want to try pushing higher frame rate (140+) for your monitor.

The Intel CPUs are better suited for this (high refresh rate gaming) but they take a bigger hit when you start multitasking because of their lower core count.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube