add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Not sure if i should get a new mobo

BenP107

16 months ago

I have an R7 1700 on a b350 motherboard and I really want to upgrade to x370 or x470 because I am having problems with my ram and overclocking. I have been looking at a crosshair 6 or 7 but I am planning to upgrade to Zen 2 next year because I am not happy with the low clock speeds of the 1700, so should i wait for Zen 2 and get a x570(?) motherboard next year or do i buy a x3/470 now and just buy a 3700x(?) next year. will zen 2 have backwards compatibility as zen+ did?

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Most of your questions will require a crystal ball to answer accurately. I can't see into the future, but based on the fact that AMD is supporting the AM4 socket until at least 2020 and they have so far provided BIOS updates for old chips in new boards, I would say there is a pretty good chance that this trend will continue. What problems are you having with RAM and OC? It might be a part issue and not a platform/ chipset issue.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

i have corsair vengeance led ram and i have a problem where only 1 stick lights up, and with my cpu the oc will not apply, when i set the multiplier higher then save and exit from the bios i check cpuz and the multiplier hasnt changed and the clock does not go to the oc i have set (3.8)

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

FYI just upgraded to bios F23 and fiddled with some bios settings the oc is now working hopefully

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

It would help if you provided the specific RAM kit as well as the motherboard you used.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I am not happy with the low clock speeds of the 1700, so should i wait for Zen 2 and get a x570(?) motherboard next year or do i buy a x3/470 now and just buy a 3700x(?) next year. will zen 2 have backwards compatibility as zen+ did?

So far forward compatibility is being maintained however you need a newer generation motherboard to fully utilize the newer generations features.

Like the 2600X/2700X are unable to use Precision Boost Overdrive and XFR Enhanced on older motherboards.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube