add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is the ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX Motherboard a good choice for TR4 Generation 2?

mhweb
  • 17 months ago

I'm about to build a custom PC, which it'll be using virtualization with VMware Workstation, and I've picked the ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard to run an AMD 2950x TR4 2 processor. I know the motherboard support the cpu with a bios update, but do you guys know of any compatibility problems or if I'll be missing any significant features going with this older version of the mobo?

Budget for the mobo is between 350 or 400 max.

This is my current list https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bCT3sZ

PS: I'm not planning to jump to the 2990x cpu.

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll be missing any significant features going with this older version of the mobo?

The ASRock is not the only board that needs an BIOS update to accommodate the newer 2nd. gen. TR4 processors.

For example, that applies to the MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC and the Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX as well.

So, i wouldn't bother much about that. And actually you can't do otherwise anyway, right? :)

And actually a 2990WX with PBO and a GTX 1080 should consume near to 600 Watts. (at max.)

So, that 850 Watt PSU is a good choice, but almost the same amount on money you could get even a bigger one!

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-17-139-139

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

You're welcome :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube