add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

favorite unknown game(s)

Memo1010

16 months ago

What is/are your favorite game(s) that most other people haven't heard of? Here's some of mine

• Calm down Stalin
  • Sid Meier's colonization (spin off of the Civ series)
  • Star Wars Empire at War

there's gotta be more but I can't think of then atm

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

Some of the obscure games I used to play are no longer obscure lol. Back in 2010 I put tons and tons of hours into this obscure indie game where you harvest materials and build structures and try to survive the night. At night, zombies would come out, so you'd better have some walls up! Oh and they'd spawn in your structure too, so you better find coal and build some torches to light the walls. Now everybody's heard of it.

Another one from way way back that I was a huge fan, is Earthbound. This was back when it was a relatively obscure SNES game with a cult following. Then fast forward many years, and Smash Bros comes out. It was still pretty obscure though until Melee came out a few years later from that, and now everybody has at least heard of it, even if they never played it.

A third example is Natural Selection, which was a Half-Life total conversion mod. It blends RTS gameplay with FPS gameplay in a game of Space Marines vs Aliens, where one user acts as the Commander for the marines as plays as an RTS game. The Commander can give orders to individual players (who are playing the game like an FPS), and requires resources to build structures and create new weapons/upgrades for the marines. The Aliens have a more organic structure with no centralized commander. Back in the day of rampant Half-Life mods, this was the third most highly-played third party mod (following Day of Defeat, which was 2nd to Counter-Strike). Of course, both CS and DoD got picked up by Valve. Rampant speculation was that NS would get bought too, but it never did. They ended up making a full fledged sequel years later, Natural Selection 2, which seemed a modest success. --If you haven't heard of these games, you've probably heard of the followup effort from the dev team: Subnautica.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Back in 2010 I put tons and tons of hours into this obscure indie game where you harvest materials and build structures and try to survive the night. At night, zombies would come out, so you'd better have some walls up! Oh and they'd spawn in your structure too, so you better find coal and build some torches to light the walls. Now everybody's heard of it.

Minecraft?

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Earthbound is one of the greatest games of all time! Why go out of your way to focus on Minecraft?

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I've never played Earthbound. The closest I've got was playing as Ness in SSB.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

My deepest apologies.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

No need.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Yuuuup!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha I feel you. I used to overplay Minecraft. I actually still sometimes play it today.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Same, but the game sometimes gives me headaches for some odd reason lol

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Me too, I get motion sickness and have to stop playing, so i don’t play it anymore

Edit
Here’s why
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-Minecraft-commonly-give-people-headaches

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I am also an Earthbound fan, but I must admit I played it on my SNES Classic.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I was shocked it was included on that. That was very cool. Probably due to his fame from Smash tbh.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I feel like they actually did really well with the SNES Mini’s list of titles. EarthBound, FF6(called 3 for history nerds), Contra III, Super Mario World, Yoshi’s Island (or whatever it’s title was), Donkey Kong, F-Zero, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Starfox, LoZ, and Super Metroid were all very enjoyable. :D

...Except Secret of Mana: I feel that game is overrated.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Secret of Mana is really only enjoyable as a multiplayer game. And, personally I didn't love it. It was alright. My brother and I would play it back in the day.

I agree, it has a very solid selection of games. Mega Man X, Mario Kart, and Kirby Super Star are also excellent old SNES games. I honestly cannot think of an SNES game that I loved that isn't on this console, except for Chrono Trigger and DKC2. Perhaps Final Fantasy V would have been a decent addition too (but VI is the best game in the series).

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, I’ve only been able to play Chrono Trigger on DS.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Not Sure how obscure these games are but almost every game i play nobody else i know plays heres some

• The Escapists

• Software INC

• Death Road to Canada

• Production Line

• 60 Seconds!

I dont own this game but my friend got me into

• Tiny Town VR

I used to play alot of flash games back in my childhood and my favorites are

• Super Mario Flash

• Stick RPG

• Super Mario 63

• I used to design my own Mario world stages but thats not too obscure

The only old Console games i remember are the only games that i and most of my friends have played.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Star Wars republic Commando.

• C&C Generals

• Sanctum

• Sins of a Solar Empire

• Super Tux

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The Bravely series isn’t really mainstream. I used to play a game called Moomoo.io with some friends. Other than that I mostly just play popular games.

“Calm down Stalin”

Explain.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

It's a really weird game on steam were you run the USSR via moving Stalin's hands

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m interested! Would you recommend the game?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Robot Roller Derby Disco DodgeBall, Tower Unite, Raft, Papers Please, The Forest, Dying Light, and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. Note: That some of these games are well known at the time but not currently now I didn’t play all of these but the best game in here is Tower Unite for Co-op, Splinter Cell Chaos theory with a good single player experience( Funny, makes you think, challenging, amazing voice acting, and overall fun levels.), And disco dodgeball for multiplayer but the are very few players.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is couple unpopular games that I love:

• Gothic I and Gothic II: Night of The Raven
  • Risen I, II and III
  • Two Worlds II
  • Dawn of War I (+all DLCs)
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

One of my all time favorite games is Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance. It was a D&D based game in the settings of Birthright. It had a mix of conquest/rtx and some dungeon crawling/rpg elements to acquire rare items to help you control your realm and crush your opponents.

Another game I liked was Chaos Overlords. Its basically a city based king of the mountain game where yu expand into the city using gangs you control to exort money and fight rival gangs. »It was fairly interesting for the time.

Finally, the original Might & Magic games (1 through 5) were just pure RPG/dungeon delving goodness for its time. Most people probably know more the Heroes of Might & Magic games that become their own RTS spinoff of the games but the dungeon crawls always occupied a special place in my heart.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Hacknet, I think. Not sure if people have heard of it though.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Splatter Zombie Apocalypse (Blood Red Edition)

I got this on Steam for $0.49. I had some change and was looking for a cheap game that didn't suck. This is actually a fun game. I don't even like those top down/sky camera kind of games and like this. I'd imagine most people never heard of it. I sure haven't.

Project Freedom

This is on Steam for $2.99. It's actually pretty fun. I also got this when there was a little change left and searched for something cheap. One downside is it has poor resolution support and I can't find a solution for that.

Shmadow

This is on Steam for $1.99 and I got it with spare change once again. This game is difficult for me. It's pretty crazy and fun though.

Hydrophobia Prophecy

This is only $4.99 and pretty decent if you have some change to blow. I still need to play more. I keep putting it off with the intention of coming back to it and always play something else. I will get to it eventually.

Legendary

This is $2.99 and pretty good. I also keep putting this off and need to play more. I'm just weird like that sometimes. There is no reason I haven't already beaten it.

Here are some that are better known. I want to mention them anyway. They aren't exactly huge titles and many may have missed them. These gems need to be played by everybody and some might not of heard of them yet. I found them randomly or got them from giveaways.

LIMBO

Little Nightmares

Killer is Dead

I Am Alive

Lucius

The Darkness II

Steamworld Dig

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Colonization was a favourite of mine years back. Still got it somewhere if I fancy playing it on DosBox.

First on the list is of a similar theme (no idea if my list are obscure games, so much as very dated):

• Conquest of the New World (Win 9x)
  • Freelancer (2002-ish)
  • 5 Days a Stranger / Chzo Mythos series (Dos)
  • High Steel (ZX Spectrum - build platforms, if you can - very frustrating and addictive)
  • Uplink (2001-ish)

Still play them all every few years. Planning a new system and looking forward to Subnautica, which is very like Freelancer in a 'Wow!! This is cool" sense.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube