add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

To delid or not to delid

Thinshaw18

16 months ago

I currently have an 8700k with a thermaltake floe riing rgb 360 tt premium cooler. I have great temps all things considered, but I haven't really ventured into overclocking yet. I currently have all cores synced to 4.7GHz and for most games I average 50 C. SCUM is the highest and it averages 75 C with the occasional 85 C spike. I would like to get into overclocking sooner rather than later (duh why else would I get an 8700k) but would love to delid my CPU for that extra push. I have great airflow and am running a Strix Z370-F motherboard. Should I delid whenever I get to that point or have somebody else delid for me? I am not a gentle or well coordinated man so I fear that I could somehow break it even with a delid tool, but idk. What are your opinions? Are the VRMs on my motherboard even good enough for some high OC or will I need to change that too? I'd love to hit 5.0GHz or more with manageable temps. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Delidding is a relatively safe and easy procedure (minus voiding your warranty) and it does drastically reduce temps. I'd say go for it if you want to get some awesome overclocks.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

H*ck a warranty, we livin dangerous out here in these skreets

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I would definitely overclock first and see if you really need a delid. I overclocked my 7700k to 5.0GHz and temperatures weren't really a problem so I decided not to delid. If you really are going to delidI would recommend silicon lottery. Silicon lottery will replace your CPU if it fails and uses really high-quality liquid metal. While it might be cheaper to do it yourself Silicon Lottery will guarantee a successful delid.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's what I was thinking about doing tbh. I might try to delid and see how far I can push it and if I can't achieve over 5.0GHz I may just sell this CPU and buy one from silicon lottery that has tested at 5.3GHz

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

If your cpu hits 5.0GHz or even 4.9GHz the difference in gaming performance between that and 5.3GHz really isn't much if anything at all.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

it wont just be for gaming tho

• 16 months ago
  • 0 points

Overclocking already invalidates your warranty

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Are your cores running at 100%?

I have an 8700K paired with a GTX 1080 and a 1440p 144hz monitor as well as a 4k 60hz monitor and I rarely see the CPU being used at more then 30% when gaming and my temps are fine. I even disabled MCE as I had no actual need for it when gaming.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

My cores aren't running at 100% currently which is why I haven't overclocked. I am planning on using my PC for some video editing and some coding which would make overclocking valuable.

Part of the reason you don't see a large performance hit on your CPU is because higher resolutions are actually less stressful on your CPU since the GPU is what's receiving most of the work load.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I do play on the 144hz monitor and I run several google chrome tabs, several monitoring apps and streams at the same time.

What I meant is that unless you can fully utilize your cores, its unlikely deliding would yield any significant performance boost. Even when people delid, the core clocks are still within 0.1-0.2Ghz at a few degrees cooler.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube