add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Have I been daft and ordered incompatible RAM for this MOBO

mysticjim

16 months ago

I'm new to PC speccing and building. I thought I'd be okay, but know I'm worried I may have messed up with my MOBO and RAM combination

I ordered ;

GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming AMD Ryzen CPU AM4 Socket DDR4 PCIe Gen 3 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard

and

Corsair CMK8GX4M1A2400C16 Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Module, Black

PCPartspicker didn't flag up a conflict, but after watching a few build tutorials on Youtube, it was recommended as standard to check on the MOBO manufacturers website for RAM compatibility. The above RAM is conspicuous by it's absence! I feel like a bit of a prat for just diving in and buying it. It's all scheduled to arrive over the next few days, so not sure what to do. Should I just test it out, just in case it works straight off, or is it not worth the risk, just send it back and get replacement RAM specifically off the compatible list? I know there is a chance it might just work, in which case, wonderful. It's unlikely that it would get fried if it's incompatible, right?

Any advice and/or reassurance welcome! :)

Jim

And sorry, just for full reference, here is the full spec;

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/mysticjim/saved/2GDJ8d

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

2400 RAM will not cause you any issues with the B350 motherboard. Manufacturers test the RAM they have but cannot test out every RAM module, brand and manufacturer so the list is more of a confirmation for some models than an absolute thing.

Ryzen does have issues with RAM when you increase its speed but 2400 should not cause you any issues.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

As Chillsabre mentioned above.

You should overclock them to 2400MHz though for getting to that speed.

Some Ram modules are working right our of the Box at that speed and some not.

According to the QVL list of that board, an XMP profile is needed for the Corsair ones.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello guys, thanks for your comments. So, have I got this right - the RAM will most likely work right out of the box, but to achieve the 2400MHz speed, I may well have to select the relevant overclocking profile for that RAM in the BIOS? Cool, I think I can sort that out :)

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

2400 is a JEDEC speed and I'd expect the motherboard to hit that speed. It's not really overclocking.

As I understand it, memory "overclocking" means pushing the memory past its rated JEDEC speed and I believe the highest JEDEC standardized speed is 2666 MT/s (or is it 2400? I'd have to look and I'm at an airport atm.) So running 2400 memory at 2400 isn't overclocking, it's what ought to work.

Now ... if you buy a set of fancy G.skill 3200 MT/s (say), then by definition 3200 isn't a JEDEC speed and somewhere in the specs you'll see something labeled something like "SPD speed rating", which is the JEDEC guaranteed speed. It won't be 3200, it'll be 2133 or 2400 or something. To actually run the sticks at 3200 MT/s requires "overclocking", and you're not guaranteed to get anything other than what the mobo QVL says.

I would be deeply, deeply disappointed in a mobo that refuses to run at all just because its memory isn't on the QVL (assuming properly functional memory, of course). If the mobo will only run the memory at its SPD / JEDEC speed, then oh well and you get what you get.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that, that's even better news! I've learnt so many abbreviations today that I wasn't familiar with, QVL, XMP, and now, JEDEC! I told you I was a newb!!!!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

...but to achieve the 2400MHz speed, I may well have to select the relevant overclocking profile for that RAM in the BIOS?

It depends from the modules.

Some may work right out of the box at that speed, and some not.

So, if you install those modules into the board and they are running at 2400MHz, you have nothing to change and you are good to go.

However, if the modules are running at 2133MHz, then you should choose an XMP profile (there should be only one on those low speed ram kits) to get them to work at 2400MHz.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube