add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero vs Code

aas713

14 months ago

I'm getting ready to build my second computer after building my first 5 years ago. This time around I'm going for higher end components now that I can afford them. I decided that I want to get one of the Maximus boards, but am having trouble choosing between the code and the hero. I like the look of the code and like it's back panel more, but I can't tell whether it's worth the additional cash for the code. Here's what I'm planning to do for my build:

I plan on getting the 9th gen i7 if the benchmarks show that it's worth it over the 8th gen

I plan on overclocking my gpu and cpu

I'm going to use a 240mm closed loop cooler and not going to do an open loop system because they seem intimidating for someone still relatively new to pc building like me (plus I don't trust myself to remember to change the coolant as often as I would have to)

I plan on using aura sync and plan on getting 4 argb case fans, the ml240r cpu cooler. I already have a 1080 TI strix and trident rgb ram.

I've been told these boards would be wasted on me and I should just go with a strix, but I didn't really like the new strix series too much honestly and I would like to learn how I could get the most out of one of these Maximus boards so that my money is well spent.

Here's a link to Newegg which has a comparison if you scroll down: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119150

Here's my partlist for reference: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/aas713/saved/4c4ZRB

Sorry for the long post, really just trying to see pro/cons between the hero and code but would also still like to hear more input, thanks!

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Specs look to be the same so for the code you are paying extra for looks.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Asus have a comprehensive guide on each z390 board or theirs: https://edgeup.asus.com/2018/z390-motherboard-guide-coffee-lake-8-core/

As enrico mentioned specs are broadly the same, some refinements and looks make up the bulk of the changes.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

They mention "Dedicated temperature and flow headers as well as AIO pump header" in the description for the board, are these headers only relevant for open loop cooling, or can a closed loop cooler utilize these too?

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

The hero has all of that too. See detailed specifications on the product page under internal I/O https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO/specifications/ suffice to say hero would be fine with either option.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah gotcha, thanks!

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

I do want to point out that I own an 8700K and when its OCed with its 6 cores / 12 threads, it gets pretty hot and a 240 would already be struggling to keep things cooled without sounding like a leaf blower when in use. I expect the 8 cores CPU will run even hotter despite the soldering Intel decided to go with.

I would recommend going for a really efficient 280 or a 360 loop to keep things cool and somewhat silent.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah that's a good point, thanks for the heads up!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube