add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What's the most useless thing you still have memorized?

DarTroX

16 months ago

The most useless thing I have still memorized would be the endings from when I took Latin 1 and 2 in highschool. Man I hated that class

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 6 points

The serial number to my M16A2 from when i was in the military.

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Would it cook your noodle if I told you that the M16A2 is still used today in both training and combat?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

It would not surprise me to be honest. I would not even be surprised if mine was out there being used by someone.

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 3 points

It's not our only firearm by any means. But yes, the M16A2 is still standard issue for the USAF, USCG, and Army Reserve/Guard.

Insane list of active service weapons for US Military

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, seems M16A2, M16A4, and M4/M4A2 are pretty much the standard issue infantry rifles. M16A3s being a bit less common and mainly used by special operators (mostly due to the selector allowing full auto for CQB).

Really, the differences between the A2 and A4 are pretty minimal and mostly focused at ergonomics and accessory compatibility.

Something that I see a lot of people misunderstanding: M16A2/M16A4 are selective fire but do not allow for fully automatic fire, instead opting for burst fire to increase accuracy with less well trained troops.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Very interesting list. The list of weapons we had was rather short for the job that i did, keep in mind, this was 1998 to 2002.
M16A2 M203 attached to the M16A2
Mk19 (fun weapon to shoot)
M249 Better known as the SAW
M60 The tried, test and true belt fed machine gun.
Last but not least the M9 or better known as the Beretta 9mm.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I believe of all active branches in the US the Coast Guard uses the A2 the most currently. It is(According to wikipedia) their primary assault rifle.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

41, and i was in from 1998 to 2002, so right at 5 years.

and for the record... the serial number was 7278147

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

That's just the Rifleman's Creed lol

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 5 points

The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

• 16 months ago
  • 0 points

Alright, it’s time to bring in the downvotes! ;)

• 16 months ago
  • 4 points

The most useless thing I still have memorized is Zhuyin Fuhao 注音符號. It's one of the first things my first Chinese teacher made the class learn.

I can still remember "bpmf dtnl gkh jqx zhchshr".
"Zhuyin fuhao is a phonetic script used in dictionaries, children's books, text books for people learning Chinese and in some newspapers and magazines to show the pronunciation of the characters. It is also used to show the Taiwanese pronunciation of characters and to write Taiwanese words for which no characters exist." From https://www.omniglot.com/writing/zhuyin.htm

Today I understand it as sorta as "The romanization of Zhuyin". Zhuyin for Mandarin (to my understanding) works pretty much like Hirigana for Japanese. I never actually learned proper Zhuyin. My teacher abandoned the bpmf thing before we finished it all and switched us to Hanyu Pinyin (the better way to romanize Chinese) so the bpmf is sorta useless.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I absolutely hated learning the b-p-m-f thing, especially since I already had a hold in Pinyin.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

我也觉得很烦的。

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

L1, L2, R1, R2, Up, Down, Left, Right, Up, Down, Left, Right

And jetpack away!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Are cheat codes allowed?

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start.

And now you can have a chance at getting through half of Contra. :)

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

yes! so useless cause i don't even play that game anymore!!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm probably stupid, but what game was this?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

GTA San Andreas, and I got it wrong, lol.

Left, Right, L1, L2, R1, R2, Up, Down, Left, Right

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

I don't know if this counts but almost every Weird Al song I have listened too repeatedly I have memorized or almost memorized. Even ones that I have not heard in years.

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

Idk. The French word for grapefruit is pamplemousse. Probably a lot of video game **** but nothing excessively useless comes to mind. There's a spot in the courtyard of Super Mario 64 where an angled ledge meets an invisible wall. If you pull yourself up at the sharpest angle possible, the game just kills you.

• 16 months ago
  • 5 points

The French word for grapefruit is pamplemousse

You know this because you are a dirty hipster who drinks the La Croix flavor pamplemousse. Let's be honest here. :P

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

Actually I remember this from high school french. And I'll have you know the only La Croix I have ever had is the Lime flavor, which is delicious and refreshing!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

dirty hipster

I was laughing harder at that than I should have

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

I am the very model of a modern Major-General, I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral, I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;[a] I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical, I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical, About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news, (bothered for a rhyme) With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus; I know the scientific names of beings animalculous: In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral, I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's; I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox, I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus, In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous; I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies, I know the croaking chorus from The Frogs of Aristophanes! Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore, (bothered for a rhyme)[b] And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore.

Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform, And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform:[c] In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral, I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin", When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin,[d] When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at, And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat", When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery, When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery – In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy – (bothered for a rhyme) You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee.[e]

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury, Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century; But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral, I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Excellent! Did you work in the musical or did it just strike you as something to do?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually learned Tom Lehrer’s version for AP Chenistry in high school. Once you have the beat and rhythm down, it’s just a matter of memorizing lyrics. So for a long time I knew both by heart and would annoy coworkers and customers to no end for years. I’ve forgotten a lot of it now that Im older, but I’ve started re learning to sing to my kids. Great fun in public :)

Tom Lehrer’s version - Elements

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

You won't believe it, smatterings of it jumped into my brain a few days ago, (I was thinking about one of my H.S. English teachers who would walk down the halls reciting stuff), and I didn't know really any of it, so guess what useless thing I'm pursuing?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

hehehehe awesome. It's a fun song. Specially when you are out and about and just start singing it. I've had people do one of two things occasional. Either glance your way and smile, or join in (not kidding). hehe

good luck :) have fun with it

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Employee Number from a job I haven't worked at in 13 years.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

DO-RE-MI

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Fa-so-la-ti-do?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

i cant forget it.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

it has been 8 YEARS

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, it’s annoying isn’t it? At what point are we expected to use this information in our lives?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

apparently sometime in our lives

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do

do-ti-la-so-fa-mi-re-do

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Probably my 2DS friend code. I memorised it to play online with people on Animal Crossing... ah, the memories.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't think I ever played AC online, lol.

It probably didn't help that I never had my friend code on hand.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Jabberwocky, a poem by Lewis Carrol. I learned it in 4th grade (1967), and have never needed to remember it since. My General Orders from the U.S. Army, I got out in 1983, why do I need them? My prison back number, I got out in 2005, why do I need that?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you serve in the vietnam war by any chance?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

No, the U.S. pulled out in '73, I joined in '76.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

ok.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I had to memorize the Jabberwocky, good thing I forgot it.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know why I remember it, maybe because I went to that school the whole year.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Left, right, middle.

I played Super Paper Mario like a decade ago, but I still remember this.

Actually thinking back on it, I think I could narrate the entire game including all the rooms you have to go through in order, treasure, mazes, and the general idea of all the dialogue even without having the game with me.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I had to memorize 44 prepositions in the beginning of 8th grade, as a "memorization exercise".

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The entire preamble to the Constitution Declaration of Independence, for some reason our school made us learn it.

if i have to hear about governments instituted among men one more time

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

We find these truths to be pretty darn obvious - Family Ties

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The tragedy of darth plagueis the wise

edit: oh, and also the entire lyrics to American Pie (which is like 8 minutes long)

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I memorized the entire bass trombone part for Russian Christmas music..... all 15 mins of it.....

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Such a good piece.... I played it last year.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I don't know if I like Russian Christmas music, Armenian dances, or Variations on a korean folk song the most.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh man russian Christmas music, our band played it my sophmore year, I was in percussion but didn't get a part, just was backup for glock, even though i never really played it, i Kinda still remember the part

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Luckily for our drummers a lot of them got doubled up on parts. We don't have a lot of drummers.....

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh freshman year was great, we have the concert band which is the freshmen basically, then symphonic band which is everyone else (even though its supposed to be the people who can actually play), so freshman year there were few of us in percussion so some songs you'd end up with 3 or more parts. I remember one song we did where within like 4 measures i had a ride cymbal into triangle into crash cymbal. In symphonic though, if you were a sophomore, you usually got left out for a few songs.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Pop punk lyrics. Honestly, name any song from that genre out of the early 2000s and I'll probably know the lyrics.

• 16 months ago
  • 0 points

What kind of songs fit into this category? Daft Punk’s stuff?

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Daft Punk's stuff?

Top 10 Posts That Gave Me Crippling Depression

Read my bio

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Lol, sorry. I assume that it is now obvious that I am not really a music person. :)

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Sall good, lol. Have a listen to some of those bands, they're quite good!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Will do. Any particular one I should start out with or should I just go down the list?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Lyrics from cheesy songs, lol XD

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The ip address of one the school's computers. It was chucked out 5 years ago.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm half Armenian, and for some reason one of the only words I remember from my trip to Armenia was "baketdoatsi" which is a phrase for hide and seek. Why that of all words? I have no clue

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

All of the lyrics to "Mans not hot" by Big Shaq lmao

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

the most useless thing ive had to remember is the julius caeser burial speech.... so ******* useless!

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

my school id from a school 90 miles away

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

DarTroX, would that be the first person present tense verb endings: O or M, N, T, Mus, Tis, NT?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

That dolphins are terrible animals and they gang rape other mammals, including humans.

Well I guess that could be useful information in a very specific setting.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The chassis and engine codes for pretty much every car ever.

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah pretty much. lol

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Up, down, take over, ready.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The Greek alphabet

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

These things....

THD - total harmonic distortion

The meaning of wow and flutter.....

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you even vinyl, bro?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

not for a long long time

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

My ex's birthday..

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I don’t know, that stuff seems pretty cool to know.

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Ah, well, it can be “useful” when touring hardware forums if you need to pull the information to make some kind of point.

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

“Assets = Liabilities + Equity.”

Could you explain this a bit? Is liabilities=debt and equity is like the percentage of company owned? I’m willing to bet I don’t have a proper understanding.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

You forgot 1. Knowing that is very useful if you ever need/want to learn binary.

[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

You really wouldn't need it with programming with high level languages like java, C++, etc but for networking and specifically subnetting its critical. Binary still has purposes today.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Some of these are kind of useful, especially if you're a programmer.

• 2145483648 - 1: largest possible 32-bit signed integer.
  • 4290967296 - 1: largest possible 32-bit unsigned integer.
  • 1099511627776: Number of bytes in a terabyte.
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986

Then I got bored and started memorizing something else.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it weird that i have the same amount of digits memorized 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

So I found this and was planning to just copy and paste all of it but PCPP has a character limit lol.

https://www.piday.org/million/

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube