add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

installing from a disc ruins my computer

multi-iostream

70 months ago

i dont know why but every time i try to install a game(might be other programs but i dont know) from a disc my computer lags so bad it pretty much will just freeze does not matter how big the game is. i installed a game from like the 1990s and it pretty much froze my computer til it finished or i opened up the drive, same thing with witcher game

comp is http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Me5

all my drivers are up to date, nothing major is running when i install the programs

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

If you haven't tried already, connect to different sata port or cable.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you only been installing old games or does this happen on newer ones as well? Older games (made for XP or earlier) often have compatibility issues with newer OS. I wonder if this might be part of the problem.

Does the computer freeze when you use the optical drive for anything else, like watching a DVD or burning/ripping/listening to a CD? If so, the problem is related to the drive itself.

Do you have a spare external optical drive to test with? This is a good way to narrow down the issue.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

dont have a spare but might just go blow 15$ to see because this never happened on windows 7, i dont know about music because i dont have any cds and i guess mainly older games have been doing it

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have any movie DVDs or blank CDs? Try just using the optical drive for anything besides installing an old game. The purpose is to see if the drive always freezes everything up no matter what you're using it for.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

well according to my brother he has watched dvd's with it and it did not lag or anything and music is the same way just seems to be the games

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

In that case I find it less likely to be a problem with the drive itself. What specific games did it happen with? Do you have any new games that you can try?

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

happened with browning african safari, witcher,oblivion and i am unsure about it happening with titanfall because i just left that alone, it seems to really only do it when i am on the internet

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube