add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is your favorite holiday

floridaboz
  • 18 months ago

Since it is the holiday season....

I want to know what your favorite holiday is. If you are not from America and it is not a non American holiday, please explain what it is about. I love learning about foreign culture.

Mine is Halloween. I just like the feel of the holiday and taking candy from random kids in the neighborhood.... (kidding, i dont do that.)

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 5 points

Christmas. I like the Christmas-y smells like cinnamon and peppermint and stuff like that. I like the music too. And I like getting free stuff but thats not the point.

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Me too, thanksgiving is my second favorite. Holidays like New Years’ Eve and July 4th? Not so much

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

July 4th? Not so much

Given the current administration, who can blame you?

Grabs Popcorn

• 18 months ago
  • 4 points

As someone who despises Donald Trump and never shies from a good roast, I am going to ask you to try harder. This bait is weak.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

What are your grievances against trump?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, this is true, maybe i should put a tree up this year, i have not even did that in years, just to give the christmas feel around the house. I am to old now to get stuff, but it was nice when i was younger, but giving stuff to my nieces and nephews feels pretty good.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Giving feels just as good as getting ;)

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

I like Christmas cause I get free stuff

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

"Mommie i want the new alienware for cwistmas"

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Spooktober is my favorite holiday.

4th of July and Christmas are close runner ups because of bombs and family...

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

December

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

My birthday. :)

People give me stuff just because I was born. It’s awesome!

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Boxing day

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Christmas is my favorite holiday because I get to see my whole family, I get presents, and I just like the Christmas-y vibe (except once Christmas is over its just gone instantly so oof).

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah - the gone part.

There is a build up of weeks prior to Christmas - and in some cases it starts before Thanksgiving. All that build up to the day. Everyone (mostly) are in a good, festive mood. There are small parties here and there. People at work bring in treats during the weeks before Christmas. The Christmas music playing in all sorts of locations, decorations up (there was a time the streets had lots of decorations - no so much anymore). Then comes December 26. No more Christmas music anywhere. The day after you notice decorations start to disappear. Within a week or so, just all about decorations, trees are gone. Its like Christmas never happened, or at least it seems like it was months ago.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

I think maybe The Fourth of July. Fireworks! It hasn't been moved for a three day weekend. The weather is usually good so I'm not stuck inside. Fireworks. Hanging out at a BBQ. Did I mention Fireworks?

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanksgiving because of Black Friday and pies. I like Christmas too because of the food.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Christmas. It's a time of year to have family and friends near to gather under the tree on Christmas Day so we can unwrap whatever crap people got us. Okay, there's certainly more to it than that. For us Christians, we celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus, who came so we can go to Heaven when we die if we place our trust in Him.

After living in Spain for over a year, it's neat to see how they celebrate it each year. For starters, they all attempt to make amazing nativity scenes, with some ranging from little, mini sculptures taking up only a desk, while others take up friggin' rooms. It's really cool. Another interesting thing is that they don't have Santa. Instead, they have the Three Kings who brought the three gifts (gold, frankincense, myrrh) to the baby Jesus. They even have names: Gaspar, Melchior, and Balthazar. They don't celebrate Christmas Day, but instead Three Kings Day on January 6. It's a very different culture.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

There is legit no holiday that's seriously celebrated here

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

That's sad, not a single thing?

Do you guys celebrate birthdays at least?

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

Most people do SOMETHING for their birthdays, a small get-together usually. My family doesn't, though. I know a bunch of people who don't celebrate their birthdays either.

I gotta admit, it goes from person to person; but most Dutch people are not big on holidays. These past few years the celebration of Sinterklaas has also been less than before because of some debate around it. It is sad, yes.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Halloween is my favorite because I enjoy the costumes and all the macabre themes. But Christmas is a close second.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

I like Christmas and Halloween. I am not a thanksgiving person as i am not a big fan of what is usually served on thanksgiving. Christmas because of the family and joy and Halloween because its the only day a year where anyone can beg for stuff and get stuff in return.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Leif Erikson Day Hinga-Dinga-Durgen

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Chinese New Year, the holiday I get to have dinner with my aunt and she makes great food, one of the best actually. Then I get to receive red packets, so I'd earn a couple hundred bucks every year, though my parents will give red packets to others as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube