add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What are your biggest tech fails?

Nater650

10 months ago

For me, it had to be an annoying ad popping up while I was doing something, I wanted to get rid of it, but I misclicked the wrong spot, and, unaware that I had my phone ringer at max volume (in case a phone call came in, I wouldn’t ignore it), and the ad had a video with sound, I nearly startled the heck out of myself. One web browser restart later and the ad is gone.

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 6 points

I got this old CM HAF X case for the price of shipping (around $35) and I had bought some old X58 stuff to mess around with. Got the whole build done and ready for a first test run.

Flipped the switch and powered it on, all of a sudden there’s a big puff of smoke a sizzling sound, probably the fastest I’ve ever unplugged something in my life.

Apparently on this board there’s two standards of HD Audio and they look similar and me being a dumbass and not checking the PDF manual online plugged it into the wrong one and shorted the wires causing them to burst Into flames and melt. lol

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Hopefully the x58 board is alright.....

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It still works, unfortunately I’m not using it anymore as I got rid of the case and had no need for a 2nd fairly large computer lying around.

• 10 months ago
  • 5 points

Years ago I think I ended up download a virus to my families computer unintentionally.

I just wanted some free club penguin hacks.

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

RIP computer

• 10 months ago
  • 4 points

Gonna have to one-up you there.

Running FX in late-2018.

so happy i upgraded finally

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Damn, I'm sure you are glad you upgraded.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

XD, so true. A few months ago, I was actually considering it. I was like,

"hey, it's got 8 cores and 8 threads for $160. That's a friggin' steal!"

Yeah, I was wrong. People helped steer me back on track, lol

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a gaming rig with an FX CPU in it, it was garbage. It’s now sitting in my garage in a semi-dead condition. (Semi dead as in GPU fans still work, but no image on my monitor that somehow still works to this day, even after an OCing attempt on it to 75 Hz went disastrously wrong, killing the HDMI port on my RX 550)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

By calling it a fail, are you saying you experienced bad FX?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm calling it a fail because of the fact that I could have bought a Skylake i3 or i5 or waited for Ryzen.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

wait that was a pun. damn it.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

you have been woooshed lol

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 4 points

Said this many times before... Last Christmas I got an NZXT Hue+. I needed a molex cable to plug it in, but i could not find the one included with my power supply (EVGA). I had just built my brothers computer and i remembered seeing one with his power supply (Seasonic). I figured it would be alright to just take his molex and plug it into mine. I did so and either the computer didnt turn on or the lights didn't work (I can't remember this part 100% correctly), so i took it out and the computer worked fine for the next day. I was actually looking online for a sata-molex adapter and all of a sudden the computer just died. I bought a new power supply, didnt work. New motherboard - didnt work. Took it to a tech repair shop and they said it was the cpu.

I killed my CPU the day after Christmas.

Moral of the story is don't mix power supply cables.

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

Should ask the Verge this question lol

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Another tech fail I’d like to mention is my mom literally trying to figure out how to use someone else’s phone that was apparently a newer model than hers, to take a picture on Thanksgiving. I was like #firstworldproblems and everyone at the dinner table literally couldn’t stop laughing, including myself. Gotta love being born to parents that aren’t tech savvy.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

OK, I'm old so I've had plenty of chances to blow it. Let's see, kept chasing 8 track when cassettes showed up, got out of vinyl when I got into reel to reel, got out of reel to reel and the rest of my vinyl when CD's became mainstream, bought my first PC (PC100 architecture) right when that changed, pretty much every tech jump I've made has been a fail up to now. I use a flip phone, all I want is talk and text, I don't Facebook, or Twitter, or any of that stuff. I find PC games boring, and I refuse to walk around with my face buried in some device. I don't need a navigation system, or an infotainment system, or a backup camera in my car. A good AM/FM/CD player is just fine. It's sometimes tough to "suss out" what tech I really need in my life. To my eyes, some of it seems to feed on itself, and when it goes south, we can blame whatever gizmo it was that we delegated that job to.

• 10 months ago
  • 5 points

You may like this....

CALLER: Is this Gordon's Pizza?

GOOGLE: No sir, it's Google Pizza.

CALLER: Sorry. I must have dialed a wrong number.

GOOGLE: No sir, Google bought Gordon's Pizza last month.

CALLER: OK. I'd like to order a pizza.

GOOGLE: Do you want your usual, sir?

CALLER: My usual? How do you know my "usual"?

GOOGLE: According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.

CALLER: OK! That's what I want.

GOOGLE: May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten free thin crust?

CALLER: No! I detest vegetables.

GOOGLE: Your cholesterol is too high, sir.

CALLER: How the hell do you know?

GOOGLE: We cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

CALLER: Listen! I do not want your vegetable pizza! I take medication for my cholesterol.

GOOGLE: Excuse me sir, but you haven't taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you only purchased a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once, at Drug RX Pharmacy, 4 months ago.

CALLER: I bought the rest from another pharmacy.

GOOGLE: That doesn't show on your credit card statement.

CALLER: I paid cash.

GOOGLE: But you didn't withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.

CALLER: I have other sources of cash.

GOOGLE: That doesn't show on your last tax return unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is illegal, sir.

CALLER: WHAT THE HELL!?

GOOGLE: I'm sorry, sir, our sole intention is to help you.

CALLER: Enough! I'm sick of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without internet, cable TV, mobile phone service and snoops who watch me and spy on me!

GOOGLE: I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty much, thnx, Bobby. : )

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm in the same boat. If I want to do anything new using the smartphone it means I need to upgrade the OS, but that means I would need to get a new smartphone, but I don't want to spend more $$$ just to be able to do X or Y. Also, now that so much of our info is online, eventually everyone's data will be compromised because of this new tech everyone must have.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

LOL

CALLER: wait, my passport expired 6 weeks ago??? DANG IT!!!

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

How old are you? This isn’t meant to be rude or intrusive so you don’t have to answer but you sound like my father. He’s ~60

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

I'm 60, sometimes I forget/ignore that, but then my body reminds me. : )

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

When I was younger I was trying to uninstall a game and I guess in the wizard it didn’t select the path right and it deleted part of my hard drive.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

TLDR; I used a molex to sata power adapter cable...

Back in 2015 on an older computer, I had the bright idea to use a molex to sata power cable adapter for my case's internal fan controller. Little did I know that these power adapters have a tendency to fail.

I powered on my computer, the LEDs flashed for a second and turned off, there was a distinct smell of burning plastic.
Apparently I fried my case's internal fan controller and a couple of LED strips, the sata power connector on both sides were completely melted.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I somehow had uninstalled PC Optimzer PRO on my really old laptop, i used to watch "How to hack roblox" tutorials and "Minecraft Mod" sites alot back in the day.

I also had like 62 other viruses on there including one that was known to lock people out of their computers a year before i had "obtained:" it. Luckily it was a dead virus but still...

I really didn't a shazam back then because i was a dum kid.

Second biggest fail is that i used to co host a meme page on twitter that we got rid of because it really isn't something to be proud of.

Third was trying to make my own 3D game on unity, even after watching close to a 100 hours of tutorial i still couldn't make a game that could function in the test mode.

If i remember more ill post again

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

Isn’t uninstalling PC Optimzer Pro a good thing?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I've been trying to help this guy troubleshoot with very little success. https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/301114-case-fan-cables-connecting-to-the-motherboard

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

So, I have an iPod Touch 4G. The thing is old, and I need a new one anyway.

So, the story goes like this: one day, I was sitting at my computer desk, and accidentally knocked my iPod on the floor. For some reason, it was out of its case. The floors in our house are made of tile (one of the downsides of living in Spain). The iPod fell about 3, maybe 4 feet, and hit the ground, demolishing the screen. There were cracks everywhere, and some of it started chipping off.

Fast forward about 5 months, and I purchased a new screen. I repaired it, but the idiots who refurbished my iPod glued the speaker assembly onto a metal shield I had to remove. The assembly wasn't supposed to be glued to it at all. So, when I took out the shield, I ripped my speaker out. Whelp, at least the headphone jack still works.

That's not the end of my problems, though. When I plugged the new screen into the iPod, I had dead zones all over the friggin' place. I can't do much anymore with it. I think the problem is that the iPod is dying, as the battery life is getting abysmal at best, and there are a few problems with opening applications that I used to open frequently, but now they don't. But yeah, that's the story of my huge tech fail.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

I have an iPod Touch 5th generation, it still works, but I might consider replacing it eventually because it’s starting to geat old.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, the new 6 is only 3 years old, but still works decently. I may upgrade to that.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I setup a Corsair hue(lighting idk what they call it) and plugged all my leds in it was detected but didn’t work. I called Corsair and they just wanted to return it. I asked if there was any troubleshooting I could do and he said yeah and to make sure power is plugged in. TL:DR the power wasn’t plugged in and I’m an idiot.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

one time a very very long time ago i didn't realize that my motherboard didn't have built in WiFi and i freaked out until about a month later i finally figured out i had to buy a WiFi adapter.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Buying a MSI GTX 1080 gaming x used off of r/hardwareswap and then waiting 4 months before actually testing it.

The guy selling it asked for 400$...I threw an additional 40$ at the seller to get their attention. In the description he said it was brand new and that he couldn't fit it in his case. I was skeptical but for some reason bought it anyway, mainly because it was a great deal and I felt lucky that day.

When it came, it had all the red port covers, the original packaging, and even the stickers. I then saved up for an additional 4 months before I booted it up in my rig.. it works fine to this day. ( a month after I built it). The fans don't even turn on most of the time and I can't tell when they do without looking at the card from the bottom.

Technically not a fail, but I seriously was asking for one.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Years ago in my pre-teens or some time around then, I messed up the TV. How?? I put a magnet up to the screen and it distorted the image for a bit. I thought it was really cool until I took the magnet away and saw that it didn't completely go back to normal. The image was correct, but there was a distinct shade of color in the shape of the magnet. Soon after that my dad was watching football. When it showed the field, which is primarily green, one color, you could see the ring color of the magnet - my dad made a comment about it. I just shrugged my shoulders.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I messed up the TV. How?? I put a magnet up to the screen and it distorted the image for a bit.

Today at work we were hanging TVs for one of our clients and this topic came up when I was talking to my boss as when I was a kid I did the same thing to our living room TV, lol!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sure we are not alone in doing this.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Another one of my tech fails, buying a laptop with 802.11n only even though I have a dual band router. So glad I ditched those horrible laptops in favor of a laptop with 802.11ac WiFi. I had an 802.11ac WiFi dongle laying around salvaged from my hunk of junk iBuypower gaming rig, but I never got to use it in my old laptop, (i5-7200U, 8 GB of RAM, 17” 1600*900 screen, made by HP) so I’m currently keeping it around as a spare just in case my current desktop’s or current 3 year old laptop’s built in 802.11ac WiFi hardware fails. Trying to OC my RAM on the aforementioned gaming desktop was also a fail because I thought the drop down menu for picking speeds would also automatically set a pre-set RAM timing, but it didn’t, and my PC had a small issue during boot up, but I was too nervous to try messing with the RAM timing to overclock my RAM from DDR3-1600 to DDR3-1866, so I just went back into the BIOS the next time I needed to boot up my PC and set it back to the factory default. Moral of the story, OCing your RAM is half way between OCing your GPU and OCing your CPU in terms of complexity.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

So with my mom's old phone she told me to take all of her (16gb+) pictures and put them on her micro SD card to transfer to her new phone. Seems easy enough. Well she had this old prepaid walmart phone with broken android or something so it was very, very, very slow. After 2hrs of "Copying" everything to the SD card I thought i was almost done. When I "Copied" all the pictures on the SD card I thought that it would make 2 copies, 1 for the card and one for the internal storage. Since I "Copied" the pictures to the Sd card I then deleted the pictures off of the phone's file explorer. Literally never touched the SD card when this was going on. After I deleted the pictures off of what I thought was the internal storage, I go into the gallery to find that there are no pictures ANYWHERE on the phone. For some reason when I deleted the original, it deleted the copy as well. So...Yeah. lost 3+ years of pictures because of some stupid reason. I have never told my mom about this incident. She has never asked.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

If she never asked (to this point) then the photos weren't that important to her.

But I probably jinxed it for you and she'll come asking about them tomorrow.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

i hope not

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

This isn’t really my fault, but it was my dad’s. While I was building my first PC, I tasked him of downloading Windows 10 on a USB drive to make the process faster. When I plugged it in, it wouldn’t boot into Windows setup. It took me a while to find out, but my dad installed Office 365 on the drive instead of Windows.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Once i got pissed at a game and raged so hard that i slapped my laptop keyboard so badly that the screen pixelated in the bottom an i got scared that i broke it but i didnt so l im ucky

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for bumping this topic, but I want to share a few of mine lol.

1. Breaking the USB3.0 pins on the motherboard for my brother's PC. I was trying to do a bit of cable management when I accidentally yanked the USB3.0 cable out too hard up to the point the pins were bent. Well he won't be using the 2 USB3.0 cables on the front of the case anytime soon...

2. Buying slightly mismatching RAM in an impulse attempt to upgrade to 16GB RAM. By that I meant buying the low profile version of the RAM I currently have instead of the taller heatspreader ones.. I mean hey.. at least it worked in the end.. now it just looks a little weird.

[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Tons of room lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube