add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I think we have a solution for dealing with package thieves

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 5 points

You can thank one of NASA’s brilliant engineers for that one

• 10 months ago
  • 10 points

Hi this is the "Edit Button" Speaking. I have borrowed Nullarc77's account to remind people that I exist and am usable even on topics. Thank you and have a good day.

• Edit Button
  • 10 months ago
  • 4 points

Uh, ok

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't see what the big issue is, doesn't bother me at all at least, but that's just me.

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

The rest of us with organization issues do.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It drives me insane since it clutters the thread.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

huh...

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

That was an entertaining video and a good thief deterrent. I can't be bothered to set traps, so I just have instructions on both my UPS and FedEx accounts to leave parcels on my back porch so it's not visible from the road. I haven't had anything stolen yet, but it is holiday season so I bet thieves are more active this time of year.

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

I just have instructions on both my UPS and FedEx accounts to leave parcels on my back porch so it's not visible from the road.

I didn't know you could do that, that is pretty cool and probably would help dissuade the majority of package theft.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Yep for sure it is useful. I've not found a way to do this with USPS, unfortunately. They do have their Informed Delivery program, but it is not available everywhere and has limitations. I guess most of the things I have come through USPS fit in the mailbox anyway.

A friend of mine had to have a lockbox installed at his house for parcels, kind of like one of the parcel drops at the post office, since theft was so common in the neighborhood. A sad reality, but it seems to be even more common in affluent areas, I guess the logic is the rich people order more expensive things.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Depending on the carrier they can go so far as to open an entry door and garage door to place it slightly inside. I had my old UPS driver do this for me. Must say, UPS is the best of the 3 big logistics companies.

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

My parents also use UPS for all their mail and package needs, they seem to work quite well. My mom even made friends with one of the people that worked in one of the stores that was located in Fontana where I used to live for 10 years. I actually do feel a little bad for their and FedEx’s local delivery truck drivers (not their freight/LTL truck drivers) during the summer here in California since they probably feel like they’re getting roasted alive since all they have is a small fan mounted on their dashboard and no air conditioning vents.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Loved the video, this is awesome. Kind of want to make my own now, but I live out in the country so package theft has never really been a problem (knock on wood).

[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 3 points

This is a wild leap in logic.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Only joking, don't frag me. :(

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

no u

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Package thieves are honest scum of the earth. I don't know why they piss me off as much as they do.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with that, I almost get a haha **** you feeling from them, it's incredibly petty.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

I saw the video, it is SO FUNNY, especially the end lol

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

Not going to lie, I bet would-be package thieves would probably be horrified at the thought of this clever little device ruining their plans (and possibly their backup plans too) wink wink lol

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

lol

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Someone forgets they ordered it, 'hm, I wonder what this could be' caught in their own trap

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I saw that.

Surprised he's willing to let 4 phones go and not get them back.

Now that this is on the news and that these packages have the potential to be creative, I wonder if porch package thefts will increase. People may have to find what creative ways people are coming up with to deter thieves!!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

set up laser sensor in front of door. when broken by packge, arm an alarm. if the package is moved out of the laser, the alarm will go off, and the intruder would be sprayed by silly string and be photographed, unless disarmed by the owner.(I hve no idea if that would actually work. Mark Rober should get on that...)

[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 4 points

While I do agree. It really only works if you are present.

[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 2 points

No. Just saying you would need to be there.

[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

pungie pit

Would not recommend. Lol

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean, packing heat isn't too bad of a solution if you are present.

[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Keeping a gun not locked up is so stupidly irresponsible and unsafe.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

This is super illegal.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Bowing their head off is but aiming and demanding them to get off your property isn’t.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Brandishing a weapon against someone can be considered assault with a deadly weapon. Weither it be in your car or at home, brandishing a weapon against someone to the law is intent to use it, even if you don’t actually fire it.

If someone is trespassing and you point a gun at them in the court of law you both committed a crime. Unless the intent was to use it in self defense against someone who also had a deadly weapon it’s illegal.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Well what are they going to do, tell the police on you? “Hey I was stealing this guys stuff and he pointed a gun at me.”

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, definitely. They would be charged with a misdemeanor, and you'd get a large felony charge. Happens all the time actually.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Ever hear about the guy who broke into someone home and fell and broke his leg, so he sued the home owner and won?

Or the guy who was trespassing on someone property and sued the guy who shot him and won?

Yeah, don’t underestimate some people lol

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly. When I lived in Denver there was a news story where, on a highway in the city, someone brandished a weapon after a road rage incident because they were angry and got YEARS for it.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless the intent was to use it in self defense against someone who also had a deadly weapon it’s illegal.

A more accurate summarization might be:

Unless they were commiting a forcible felony that placed you in reasonable fear for your or someone else's life.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually many times it is. The sad fact is if you are forced to pull a firearm you should use it. Things become a lot better for you legally if only you are left to give statements. Sad fact, but about how it goes.

[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Even in a state where you can shoot an intruder legally, you would have immorally state self defense in this situation, when clearly it wasn't. In a state where you can't just shoot anyone willy nilly who walks into your home/property, you have to be able to prove you reacted reasonably and with a similar level of violence that the criminal attempted to use on you. If you shoot a petty package thief dead in the back as he runs off with your amazon box, in most states, you are going to prison for a while, potentially forever.

I suggest you do some research before you start shooting petty thieves dead and end up in prison for the rest of your life.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

My apologies. Sarcasm does not translate that well to the internet.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Nope. Somebody stealing anything off your property you can put as many caps in then as you want as long as they are on your property. It is treated just as if somebody stepped into your home and started stealing. 100% legal and 100% the right thing to do. Same goes if they are vandalizing your property.

This is super wrong. This is homicide; you're not allowed, legally, to just open fire on someone for swiping something off your stoop. It might not sound right, but that is the law, and if it really sounds to you like proportional force to end a life over a package being swiped, then frankly you are probably a sociopath, or else you just are really ignorant and inexperienced. Laws vary, but typically laws stop at using deadly force to protect property from being taken. Deadly force gets reserved for imminent threat to you or your loved ones, typically on your own property, and even that can get dicey depending on where you live and the circumstances involved.

In many states you can be convicted even if you thought the person was there to harm you, including states with stand your ground laws, if there is evidence that you were not under immediate threat or had other alternatives. For example, if someone knocks on your door, and you presume somehow they are there to attack you, you are not necessarily allowed to just gun them down through the door (but some places you could).

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

My apologies. Sarcasm does not translate that well to the internet.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Well said, Gork.

[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Please provide the statue that says you may gun down a petty thief and have no consequences.

[comment deleted]
  • 10 months ago
  • 3 points

You said

I already had a solution. its called a shotgun.

Does this not imply shooting a package thief?

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube