add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

WTF?! - Intel Management Engine Components taking OVER 1 TERABTYE?

aaronbraich

4 months ago

Windows notification popped up and I got a message saying my SSD was full.

I went to application settings to find the largest ones and move those over to my HDD.

However, the biggest application when sorted by size was a "Intel Management Components" app on my HDD which was over 1.3TB?! Now what on earth is that?!

Here's a link to my screen shot. https://ibb.co/VLsFqG4

Shall I just uninstall it and hope nothing breaks?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Something else is not right. IME Components take like 110MB total ... definitely not 1TB.

Where did you download it from?

How big does it show up under "Programs and Features" from the Control Panel?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly....

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't download it. It just appeared one day. I've been overclocking recently and only downloaded the usuals like realbench, afterburner etc. I live in a village with a download speed of 1mb/s still. If I was downloading something around 1.tb - I would have certainly realised.

I think it must have been a smaller program that grew over time, perhaps it was aggregating or monitoring something that allowed it to grow so large.

Either way, I uninstalled it and everything seems to be working a OK.

:)

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

May I ask what mobo & CPU you have? And what bios version you're running?

Reason I'm asking is that this is such a strange anomaly ... that is how does a 100MB application (pretty much all versions of Intel Mgt Engine Components) turn into a 1+TB application? Makes me wonder if something else is going on, like were you the subject of a cyber intrusion? I'm a bit suspicious. Not trying to worry you.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

TBH - I already came to suspect it was a backdoor for reasonable other reasons. I know it wasn't malicious though. :)

I've got an ASUS ROG VIII Impact and the latest BIOS. Intel i5 6600K.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

That's good ... never can tell.

Good that you already have the latest bios.

Well, if you ever want to install it (IME) fresh, it's only like 100MB (86MB compressed) for your mobo and can be dowloaded here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/Consumer_11.7.0.1040.zip?_ga=2.76291157.1331776405.1546942876-1512896865.1546771245

There's nothing that would have added up to 1TB of stuff.

And you may likely already have this, but as you may already know, the latest Chipset driver is here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/Chipset10.1.1.44_RS2_20170718.zip?_ga=2.112449220.1331776405.1546942876-1512896865.1546771245

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

So I tried to downloaded the latest BIOS and flash using the ASUS recommended method of USB in a certain port and then using the button on the back of the mobo. After it installed it wouldn't even turn on. I could only get it on by clearing the CMOS which i thought put the factory BIOS back in.

Do you think it's some mega virus that somehow infected the BIOS running and the factory BIOS store? Is this even a thing?!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

what even? I honestly dont have relevant advice, as I have never run into anything quite as uniquely craptastic as this before...

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The only thing I install from Intel is the inf package. The rest is BS.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Uninstall it, nothing should break

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

with all the crap in the news about things Intel have being backdoors and vulnerabilities I'm going to uninstall it now. what in the heck. 1.3 TB my ***.

If i don't comment again - it shafted something.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Ummm... never seen anything like it. Uninstall it I guess, try to find the individual file that is eating up that space, or if it’s just a bunch of massive other files.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

OK so now my PC is completely shafted! It's been in parts since!

After i uninstalled that 1.3 TB of madness Intel Management Components thing. It worked ok for about a week or so.

Then network traffic started to be REAL slow. I tried WiFi, ethernet, reseting router, different frequencies, reinstalling drivers, uninstalling drivers, uninstalling GPU, I even disconnected everything non essential, bought a new SSD, reset the CMOS and booted up fresh. Heck I even ordered a new phone line to my room! (It's pants anyway as we don't have fibre yet).

A NEW install this way works fine... but as soon as I connect to network, all hell breaks loose again. Windows just freezes when past BIOS screen and only safe mode works (on the new SSD)!

What in the heck in this?! I thought that clearing my CMOS and having nothing other than a NEW SSD would have flushed any possible virus out.

Please could someone help save me from this sandpit of poo? If anyone lives near Windsor/London, I'll even pick you up and buy some beers and let you have a stab at taking this shi7storm down.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Look at this: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-IMPACT/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Version - 2017/11/223.71 MBytes MEUpdateTool Intel has identified security issue that could potentially place impacted platform at risk. Use ME Update tool to update your ME. *We suggest you update ME Driver to the latest Version 11.7.0.1040 simultaneously. Please download the file and check the MD5 code first. MD5: 6d3df63d6fe7019f956e91aeb6bc9410"

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

(Just in case this post comes up on searches for other people having this issue) I fixed it by: - downloading on another machine: - latest intel chipset - latest intel ME driver - ME Update tool - latest BIOS Then I ran them in that order and it worked fine. now everythign is back to normal but i've changed all my passowrds as who knows what was being logged in that 1.3 TB.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube