add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Random freezing with computer

stat.logic

12 months ago

About 2 months ago I built my first PC with a Ryzen 2700X, RTX 2080, 16 GB RAM at 3000Mhz, and a EVGA 750 G2 with some old SSD's from my old build (840 and 850 from Samsung.)

I noticed with my build that there has been random glitching where the computer will freeze up while I'm in game or just watching a video. First the video will start to lag, and it does this for about 5 seconds. Then it just freezes completely, cutting off audio but still keeping the frozen image. It sits there for about 10 seconds, then starts working normally like it should.

I read on some forums that the RTX 2080 might be the culprit as some of the GDDR6 wasn't correctly made or there was a manufacturing issue. I don't think it's the graphics card as it's still sending video output and since it's messing with the audio (hooked up to audio ports on the motherboard). This tells me it's one of two things: The motherboard or the CPU. The motherboard is a X470 Pro Prime by Asus.

Is there anything it could be aside from those two things? I would really hate to chop shop this up as this is my only computer and RMA's can sometimes take weeks.

Thank you

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

What are the temps looking like?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Temps are reasonable. 32-38 idle, 40-45 browsing. 50-55 gaming and 60+ workloads.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried turning off eco mode on the psu?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

eco mode has always been off

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Is your RAM overclocked? I had some freezes when xmp was enabaled (intel) and when it was off no freezes. So i just had to input everything manually.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I will test this out and see, I do have DOCP on so I'll go ahead and manually change it and see if it brings results.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Update: still getting glitches.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you try to run RAM at stock speeds? Also if anything else is overclocked just try to run it at stock.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm trying it at 2933 mhz for now, will post again if their is still issues. I might just buy a new RAM kit rated for a higher speed and see if B-Die will solve it.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

any results? I had a freeze on my PC yesterday and I'm going to go into bios and put ram at stock

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I looked at some of the errors in the event viewer and the Gigabyte software was the culprit. I deleted some unecessary .dll files and everything is back up and running.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

RAM is able to run at rated speed (3000 mhz)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube