add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is the Gigabyte z370 aorus gaming 7 a bad choice?

ddmjr22

11 months ago

I've tried going for some of Asus's options, like the RoG E, A, & Hero Maximus, but they're literally out of stock everywhere I look and now that the last of my parts are coming soon I've started to get desperate..

I've heard some bad reviews about the gaming 7 when It comes to overclocking, so I just wanted to know if any of you experienced such issues.. I'll also be more then happy to take any motherboard recommendations that suit my build well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $349.99 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X72 Liquid CPU Cooler $180.02 @ B&H
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $179.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $154.99 @ Corsair
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $77.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $94.63 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card $799.99 @ Amazon
Case Lian-Li - PC-O11DW ATX Full Tower Case $137.98 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ B&H
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120mm Fans $103.95 @ Newegg
Case Fan Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120mm Fans $103.95 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2596.10
Mail-in rebates -$70.00
Total $2526.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-10 23:50 EST-0500

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

Why not go for a Z390 motherboard and avoid any incompatibility issue with BIOS updates if you upgrade to a 9900K?

Something like the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra is well suited to OC your 8700K and even a 9900K and its not terribly overpriced.

Just be sure to avoid the Z390 Maximus Hero from Asus, it was underdesigned with a simple 4 phases and it runs much hotter and OCs pretty badly compared to other motherboards in the Z390 crowd.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahhh. I wansn't sure if z390 motherboards worked with 8th gen cpus. This changes a lot. Thanks.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Just be sure to avoid the Z390 Maximus Hero from Asus, it was underdesigned with a simple 4 phases and it runs much hotter and OCs pretty badly compared to other motherboards in the Z390 crowd

That's totally not true. lol

https://imgur.com/a/D6BMtap

The only downside may be, that ASUS demands a stiff price for that board, even if it has only 4 Real CPU phases.

So, you could definitely get another board with more CPU phases at the same price.

But a bad board, not really. :-P

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

It happens to runs about 30C over the Aorus Master and reaches temperatures that hover 100C for the components as a result of the poor VRM design.

Defenitely not something I would recommend.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

A link to that test would be helpful.

And no open test bench results please, as no one will ever make a build like that.

That's not even a real build. :-P

Here is a review from Toms'hardware:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-maximus-xi-hero-wi-fi-i9-9900k-motherboard,5918-4.html

Temps are also included on that review.

Now, consider what would happen if the other boards that have double or even triple the phases would work with only what Asus has to offer, so only 4!

I think the above review says it all.

And also take a look at the below video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7lHP3_vsm4

Now you know. :-P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube