• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DustinS85 3 months ago

So as the title says...What would be the best overclock speeds that are SAFE to overclock to with the i7-9700k? I don't want to burn the cpu, but it's a K card and I don't want to just run stock. I will have a Cool Master Master Liquid ML360R cooler on it. I will also be running a RTX 2080Ti if that helps....

Comments Sorted by:

Chillsabre 2 Builds 3 points 3 months ago

If you dont need anything specific, try starting with stock, the 9700K is a prety powerful CPU without an OC.

If you notice that you are running the CPU at 90% usage or so, go into your Z390 motherboard's BIOS and see if there are any presets and start from there by down tuning the voltage and seeing how low you can get it.

Granddy 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

This.

The 9th gen i7s are really highly clocked already and only get a mild boost from ocing to 5.1-5.3.

mark5916 1 point 3 months ago

Follow that guide for OCing the processor if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbRauc8gpQM

You have a good enough motherboard with a VRM that could theoretically work at 175A (4 phase design with a mosfet average current of 45A - all in one power stage mosfet ON Semiconductor NCP302045 is used for that) if pushed.

Should be decent enough for an i7-9700K processor.

The cooler is excellent, casing is excellent too with a lot of space, so yeah with a bit of luck yo could even get it to 5.0GHz without throttling the processor.

Now if you don't OC, if all cores are used, the CPU will run at 4.6GHz (so pretty high actually)

Dreadvolt 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

I am not an experienced overclocker by any stretch of the imagination.
That being said, here are some of my configs on my 9700K.

5Ghz @1.33V with an AVX offset of 2, 'normal' LLC (Gigabyte BIOS).

Gaming temps are in the mid 60Cs to mid 70Cs on air cooling.

Your cooler is baller, and should out perform mine.

Very good temps!

With the DRP4 and the Z390 AORUS ultra?

Your cooler is baller, and should out perform mine.

But you have a better board to some extent. :-P

Dark Rock 4, no pro. Bought flashy RGB ram that I wanted to see before I decided on air cooling.

it's the only good rgb in my rig sadly...

Replaced NZXT case fans with SilentWings3s, and put 2x 140mm SilentWings3 in the front for intake.

it's the only good RGB in my rig sadly...

I guess it's enough. You don't want that your PC does look like a Christmas tree. :-P

Nice configuration!

Thanks, I kinda love it.

But at the same time, I also kinda want to build something with some Corsair RGB fans and see what some of these ICUE profiles look like on more than a couple memory modules.

I think I've developed a problem with PC building. :|

Thanks, I kinda love it.

Looks nice and clean!

I think I've developed a problem with PC building. :|

Well, you second attempt will be a full RGB build then. :)

Kakarotto 1 point 3 months ago

Use the AVX offsets

It's hard to say because it depends on the cooling and the quality of the CPU. Some can hit 5.1ghz and some can't.

4.8ghz, AVX offset -2, (Possibly 4.2ghz cache) and then run a stability test at 1.15v to 1.2v should be very safe. You might have to maximize the long and short duration power limits. If your system can pass stress test then lower the voltages until it can no longer pass. I've been using Prime95 versions 26.6 (non-AVX) and 29.4, Aida64, and LinPackXtreme, along with a temperature and system monitoring program like HWMonitor, HWInfo64, Speccy, or SIV64x.

If you're going to run the XMP Profile then you'll have to adjust the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages. However if your memory is 2400mhz or 2666mhz then you might not have to adjust those settings.

mack_au 4 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

It should already boost all core to 4.7ghz, I probably wouldn't even bother overclocking. Do you actually need that cutting edge extra few hz?