• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ZFGeek 3 months ago

could you use a cardboard box as a PC case?

Comments Sorted by:

ZFGeek submitter 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

I just didn't know since in a "traditional" metal case the mobo is grounded, but in cardboard that wouldn't be the case(no pun intended), if the mobo would still be safe.

Nullarc77 4 Builds 3 points 3 months ago

In the old days yes but in modern computers the motherboard in grounded by the PSU and the case by connection through contact with the PSU.

Zowayix 1 Build 2 points 3 months ago

Yes. In theory a case only serves 3 purposes:

1. Airflow
  2. Organization (also keeping out dust)
  3. Power buttons and stuff

(I'm sure that list is nitpickable but that's the gist of it)

Anyway, if you don't care about making a mess and you don't have toasty components and you have a way to turn the computer on, then you theoretically don't even need a case at all. Some people test their PCs as they're building them in the motherboard's box, so that'd just be a more long term version of that. I've seen some people build in cardboard boxes because they can't afford a case and have pre-owned motherboards and CPUs and such.

Not really ideal, but at least it's environmentally friendly, lightweight, easily moddable...

ZFGeek submitter 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

Thanks, I have an older athlon pre-built system sitting around collecting dust, and I want to turn it into a plex server for my house, but I don't want it to take up too much space. I also don't want to buy an itx case, as I don't want to put money into the pc. Putting it into a box would give it customization and character, anyways. If the PC breaks, it doesn't really matter too much, this is basically an experiment.