• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

The_mrpickle 2 months ago

I am only going to be gaming on this pc. Does it matter which one I get? I don’t know what an APU is and does that matter?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YbGVQZ

Comments Sorted by:

ProbablyProdigy 3 Builds 4 points 2 months ago

The 2200G is basically the newer 1200. It's slightly faster but it has integrated graphics so that is why it's considered an APU and not just a CPU. All Ryzen CPUs besides the 2200G and 2400G do not have integrated graphics and require a GPU to display. In other words, since the 2200G is newer, I would get that instead.

Nullarc77 3 Builds 3 points 2 months ago

All Ryzen CPUs besides the 2200G and 2400G do not have integrated graphics and require a GPU to display

And the 200ge too.

Also the CPU side is basically the same. The APUs are not based on the refined 12nm process. The only differences is the base clock speed. So once overclocked they are the same as far as CPU. So if you are using it with an external GPU jsut get which ever is cheaper.

Gilroar 1 Build 2 points 2 months ago

1200 Gen 1 Ryzen with half the cores, half the L3 cache, and SMT disabled.

Higher overclocking headroom with its lower base clocks and similar clkock speed limits, Any programming that likes cache size will favor the 1200, And it generally runs cooler (Thinner heatspreader, Better TIM, Larger silicon unused transfering heat to the heatspreader).

2200G Gen 1 Mobile with SMT disabled.

A little more reliant on high speed low latency RAM with the smaller cache size.

Get whichever is cheaper the APU although faster are not an upgrade over the parts they replaced.

worstcaster 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

I've got a 2200g and have been very happy with it on the CPU side. I have a GTX 1070 in the system. I haven't been bottlenecking it quite yet. I'm planning to upgrade at some point, but it just doesn't seem necessary right now. I've been running a modded FO4 on Ultra settings around 72 FPS. According to MSI afterburner I'm running 80-85% on CPU usage. Also running Shadow of War without problems.

ZFGeek 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

APU stands for Advanced Processing Unit, and is a chip that has a GPU and CPU in one. The GPU isn't usually too powerful, not enough to play most games, and if a Discrete GPU is put into the system, the APU graphics are disabled.
That being said, the 2200g is slightly faster than the 1200, for the same price. I would recommend the 2200g.