add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Modded my Evga's 1060 bad cooler

bengy22

9 months ago

Decided i was tired of the louder and hotter running 1060 evga made (the evga gaming 1060 3gb). For anyone who doesn't know Evga sells a 1060 3gb and 1060 6gb that come with a heatsink that looks like it came fro a intel stock cooler but shaved down. Well i bit the bullet after seeing someone put a zotac 970 cooler on the 1060 and bought a broken gtx 960 from ebay for $26, was listed as "over heated and no longer working" and i had hope i could get it to work but it seems something is shorting out the card as when it's plugged in it makes the pc power cycle. After that i figured out i wouldn't be able to just install the cooler as mainly the dvi connector interfered so i got the dremel out and fixed that and after a bit of work it fit fine and i installed it without problems. Here is a photo of the 960 and 1060 pcb's and of the mods i did to the heatsink. Photos Here https://imgur.com/a/bb067vt (i didn't bother to take i final photo cause it looks just like a evga 960).

Tdlr: I put a 960 cooler on my 1060 and dropped temps by around 15c~20c while also running quieter.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice one bengy. I have a suggestion, you could totally mod the shroud of the cooler. Maybe paint, carbon fiber wrap, lights, and rebadge it as a 1060? Should definitely do something so it doesn't look like a 960.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice one bengy.

Yeah, it's a cool mod.

I have a suggestion, you could totally mod the shroud of the cooler. Maybe paint, carbon fiber wrap, lights, and rebadge it as a 1060? Should definitely do something so it doesn't look like a 960.

That's a good way to make it cooler.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I might do this later but right now i'm just happy to ave it quieter, but i will look into what could be done :)

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube