add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

"Discrete GPU Required" compatibility note

pianoplayer88key

11 months ago

Another poster's recent topic on multiple non-SLI/CrossFire GPUs in parts list reminded me of a couple things I've thought should be implemented. (I think there's several more I'd like to see happen, but I'm limiting this post to just the two.)

One - when adding a CPU and a motherboard that does not support integrated graphics, maybe have an advisory note in the compatibility checklist that says it doesn't support integrated graphics. A few examples:

"⚠ The Intel Core i3-6100 CPU has Intel HD 530 graphics integrated, but the ASRock E3V5 WS motherboard does not support integrated graphics. A discrete video card is required for display out."

" ⚠ The ASRock Z390 Extreme4 motherboard supports processors with integrated graphics, but the Intel Core i7-9700KF CPU does not have integrated graphics. A discrete video card is required."

"❔ The Supermicro X11SCM-F has integrated ASPEED AST2500 BMC graphics, but only has a VGA display out port. The Dell S2419H Monitor only has HDMI ports, and it is not possible to connect VGA out to HDMI in with a passive adapter cable. It is recommended you either purchase a discrete video card with HDMI output, or purchase a monitor with VGA input."

Those don't take into account headless servers, or getting display information remotely over a network. Also the last one reflects a situation where your motherboard (or GPU) ports and your monitor ports aren't directly compatible.

The other one I'll include here is regarding SLI/Crossfire support on motherboards. I'd also like to be able to filter by motherboards that don't support any multi GPU technology, as well as being able to show boards that only support up to the level I have selected. For example, if I say show me only motherboards that support 2-way crossfire but don't support SLI, it wouldn't show me boards that also support SLI. Currently, by selecting the Crossfire Capable checkbox, it also shows the Gigabyte X399 AORUS EXTREME, for example, which supports 4-way SLI.

Okay I'll add a third real quick, on motherboards. I'd also like to be able to filter by multiple criteria in categories, for example any combination of 3 or more PCIe x8 or longer slots (which would include x8 and x16), as well as any combination of 8 or more SATA 6Gb/s compatible ports (which would include regular SATA 6G, SATA Express or SAS 6G or 12G ports.) Currently I have to search each possible combination, and sometimes I might have 30 or 50 or more pcpp motherboard search tabs open trying to do that.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 4 points

Seems like a good idea.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube