add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

4500-5500$ Workstation/Gaming rig - Opinions/knowledge needed

bardurm

9 months ago

Hello everybody

I'm in the process of building myself a new workstation / gaming rig. And i'm looking for some serious horsepower. It's primarily for working in the Adobe package, 3D max, Arnold renderer, Substance painter etc - But i would also love to do some sweet gaming on it.

What i have setup now is this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TtjYCb

But i'm not sure this gives me the best bang for the buck.

I'm interested in upgrading at a later point to 128GB ram(or buying right away) - so the motherboard should have either 4x32gb DDR4 capability or have 8 Ram slots.

What i'm also looking for is a great CPU (preferably Intel - it plays better with Adobe). Here i'm looking at i9 9900K or maybe the X series. Would you recommend going with the X series?

I would love to hear your opinions on what to buy - to get great performance for the price - look isn't really a issue ;) My price range is up to 5500$

Thanks.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think the 2080ti is worth almost double the price over the 2080. I would concentrate a bit more on the drives. 1TB m.2 drive for OS. programs and work. 250GB M.2 drive for a scratch drive (goggle this is you don't know why or how) 1TB SSD for all your games, drops the slow hard drive 5400RPM and adds a faster hard drive.

The i9 should do very good at the work programs.

Good cooler for much less, better case, and the memory bought in a 4X16GB set like it should be.

Power supply needs a 8 and 4 pin for the CPU power, very good board.

If you need WIFI buy a card. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tTdqqs/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $499.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair - H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $129.99 @ Newegg Business
Motherboard MSI - MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $153.42 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $459.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $77.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $134.95 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $247.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Western Digital - Red Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $181.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB DUKE Video Card $779.99 @ B&H
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $104.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2871.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-12 08:05 EST-0500
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

That Asus board won't support 128GB, you'll need something like one of the MSI MEG series if you're going to go i9-9900K.

You might want to take a look at some of the pugetsystems.com review pieces to get a feel for whether you want to be in a 9900K or in a higher core count, higher PCIe lane count machine. You might - or might not - benefit from multiple GPU's.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been looking into MSI MEG series. It would provide me with the 128gb ram slots, so I might go that route.

I've been looking through the puget-systems articles, and the 9900k outperforms everything when using Adobe software, but in 3Ds max it lacks behind the x-series, because of the higer core count, as you mention.

But I'm really debating if the way more expensive x-series is worth it, when most renderers are moving to GPU rendering. Here the 2080 ti shines.

So I might just go for the MSI MEG board and the i9-9900k CPU.

Thanks for the reply

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there any lg1151 socket motherboard that supports 128gb ram? I've looked at the MSI MEG boards, but I can't finde a card with 8xddr4 and lg1151 socket.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm. I think I was looking at the wrong motherboard. I don't see one either.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube