add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

If you could fully customize a laptop what would you want?

BlueSonata
  • 14 months ago

Personally I'd want a laptop

With(s):

Lightweight body, 17" anti-glare display, min 10 hours in use battery life, separate power button for monitor, fingerprint reader on power button for instant unlock, full keyboard with the numberpad and the "Fn" function key on the right side of the spacebar

Parts->
250 GB SSD (OS), 500 GB SSD secondary drive, 32GB DDR4 ram, i7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Ports->
min 4 usb 3.1 or min 4 usb type c, 1 HDMI, 1 headphone, 1 microphone

Without(s):

Built-in camera/microphone, trackpad, pointing stick aka TrackPoint, Kensington Security Slot, sleep button, useless stickers

I'm of the mindset that function is always better than form so if this were to look fugly who cares it's my frankenstein anyways

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 4 points

If you could fully customize a laptop what would you want?

Absurd/impossible, internally inconsistent things. Like a dual-screen 24" 1080p monitor setup in a 12" ultra-thin & light (<1 pound) package, only the monitors are tilt, swivel, and height-adjustable (not forced to be barely just above the level of the keyboard, which isn't great for posture).

Socketable desktop-standard CPU, 4x slots for full-size DIMMs, a PCIe x16 slot for a desktop graphics card over 320mm long, and a high-quality 4TB SSD. Essentially, just have this be able to accept motherboards from mini-ITX to ATX and perhaps some E-ATX boards. Also, regardless of the selected parts, this thing would be passively-cooled without any component exceeding a core temp of 40°C under sustained load.

Battery life would be on the order of years, when pegged.

I'd also throw in hot-swap 3.5" and 2.5" drive bays for those times I'd like to hook up a SATA drive without an adapter.

Ports: All those (remaining) display outputs on the graphics card. 1x combined mic/headphone jack with an integrated adapter for separate versions. 2 ethernet ports, 8 USB ports, 2 USB-C (always of the current spec). Throw in a firewire port and eSATA port for the heck of it.

The keyboard would be near-silent. The touchpad would physically disappear after plugging in a USB mouse.

Wireless adapter has near-unlimited effective range and speed, independent of the source router's capabilities.

Theft Prevention: It is impossible to steal from me. Not going to bother to explain the mechanics; this is just the requirement.

Durability: Impossible to break by accident or with malicious intent.

It's not happening, but this is what I want.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 14 months ago
  • 2 points

1Kg or less Thinkpad chassis, 1920x1080p touchscreen 2-in-one, the latest i5, the 7200Watt-hour dual battery, a 512Gb SSD, and a docking port. Also, the old style Thinkpad keyboard.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Enough room to do a ghetto custom loop, (everything is ultrathin these days!) however with modern hardware (R7 2700x, Radeon VII/2080) and a beastly 4k 144hz screen.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

MacBook 12, except with a 13" screen in the same chassis and a butterfly keyboard that won't break in a week (lol), with an A12X SoC and 16gb of RAM. Also a second USB-C port would be nice.

Ever since I've stopped gaming, my needs have become pretty manageable. And I'm super hyped for the day that ARM becomes mainstream for ultrabooks/thin-and-lights.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Thinkpad W540 chassis with a blu-ray/dvd/cd burner, 3+ USB (preferably 3.0), cooling that doesn't suck, SD card reader, fingerprint scanner, no backlighting pls, numpad obvs, 1920x1080 matte IPS 15.6" screen, i7 8550U, Quadro P3200 (the monitor must be "plugged / wired" to the GPU, not to the iGPU using the Quadro as an accelerator card), 16GB - 32GB RAM, 512GB+ SSD, hopefully AC wifi, and bluetooth

Oh also the webcam should be that of a smartphone one so it won't suck, and the microphone could be like one from a gaming headset but shoved into the monitor or base, so again, won't suck

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm. If I were to skip gaming (since I have a Switch and I don't game while traveling as much as I used to), I'd go for something like:

• Relatively thin and light

• Overkill cooling for its power level

• 4c/8t CPU minimum with good power efficiency, like the i7-8565U (I kind of want something like ARM's BIG.little tech here, maybe with 4 little cores to handle background or low power tasks and two hyperthreaded higher power cores for more serious workloads).

• 15" screen size with some bezel to contain a decent webcam/mic

• OLED 1080p screen, or LED backlit IPS with local dimming, and true HDR support

• Gorilla glass or competing high strength glass, with plastic bottom designed to help absorb impact, and rubberized corners to assist with those most painful of impacts

• Large battery making use of the extra size vs the current ultraportables, and combining with the overall low power of the system to provide great battery life. Also, user replaceable.

• User replaceable RAM and M.2 form factor SSD. I don't expect a 2.5" bay due to size+battery size.

• Good keyboard. I like scissor switches. Remember the old Thinkpad keyboards? That would be nice. Or if someone made a custom mechanical switch with a very short travel, like 1.5mm actuation/3mm total with a tactile bump, and added lightly curved but shallow keycaps...

• Lightly textured touchpad with an oleophobic coating. It doesn't need to be particularly large. Small mouse buttons are a plus.

• A suite of I/O: Thunderbolt 3 with power delivery support, a couple USB 3.1 ports ( at least one on each side, and one with always-on charging feature), HDMI (for wider support to TVs and projectors), Ethernet, dedicated power or second Thunderbolt port, dual 3.5mm (bonus points for a decent DAC), maybe a micro SD card slot.

• Good Wifi card with at least ac support.

• Bonus points for some level of waterproofing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube