add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Suggestions for a Mapping App (android)

Raphen

1 month ago

Sorry if this is way off the them of pcpartpicker but I thought to at least try.

I am looking for a mapping app for android that doesn't do the step by step instructions. Google maps through PC is great and fairly easy to use. It used to be really awesome then John Q public started to be the majority user and it has dropped down a few notches. Google maps for android is a big !@#$% pile of !$$@ and is not for anyone who actually knows how to read a map. I tried waze but that is just as crappy.

I know how to read a map and can figure out how to get to point A to B quite well. I just need a visual top down of the area so I can see the location of where i want to go, major roads, off-ramps and alternative routes. Something that can find an address but does not need to give instructions. I have used a couple when traveling but it requires a large download for its database.

Any suggestions appreciated and apologies if this is too off topic for pcpartpicker.

Thanks!

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Have you ever just used an atlas? There's nothing like taking a road trip with the boys and spreading a massive, folded map over the hood of your car or the passenger's dashboard.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

i mean you could just zoom out on the map to see the whole route, which is what it sounds like you want, just mute the directions

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I use google maps but I don't use the gps unless I'm going a long way where I don't know the area, then I just leave it on map. I look at the route before hand so I don't have to hug the gps on the road, don't use any instruction just zoom in for street names if I don't know them. That said I don't drive in unknown areas that much because I know most areas in my state. Usually I only need to know local streets from the last highway to destination. Sometimes I do print the instruction for the street/exit names or write a cheat sheet. Years back I had a driving job and did use an atlas, always got there, must be a lost art now. If you move to a new area sure I can see it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube