add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 2700k or wait for new Gen

Sohanon

1 month ago

I have majority of the parts I need to finish building my computer, except for the CPU and motherboard. I'm not too needy in needing the new CPU right away(I've been running integrated GPU for several months now, and don't really play anything.). However, I don't know if the new Generation of AMD CPU's are going to be a huge leap compared to the 2700k.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

see what next gen offers

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Do some research what the new motherboards for it will be like - i.e. X570 B550 etc. It could make sense to hold off for them given potential for compatibility with DDR5 etc... that alone would seal the deal. Ryzen 3000 will fall or rise by the chipset rather than CPU. Just a rehash of X470 or B450? No thanks, I will pass, you can keep the extra cores.

You cannot go wrong with the 2700X, the Ryzen 3000 is not going to be reinventing the wheel despite what people say, it will likely bump up 20%. This bump is enough for enthusiasts to dump their current rigs and spend $1000's. For the rest of us, that 20% will be treated for what it is worth - that being it is 20%. It is possible Ryzen 3000 offers a 100% or greater performance leap but I highly doubt that. The shrink in transistor dimensions does not translate to the same percentage gain. Physics does not work like that. 20% improvement is more likely where it is at, at least going core per core. If it is higher I would be shocked.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Depends how bad you need a new system. New stuff is always just around the corner and if you keep waiting for the next big thing you will be waiting forever.

If it is just an upgrade itch but your current CPU is working well for you now then I would suggest waiting as you will get more value out of your current hardware by using it longer. If your current hardware is holding you back from something you want to do on it then you should upgrade sooner rather than later. You don't want to be without a system that does what you need it to do for a period of time until the next thing is released.

TLDR: If you WANT to upgrade then wait, if you NEED to upgrade then go do it now. Determine if this is a want or a need.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Really, imho, is the rate the 2600(x) and 2700(x) coming down in prices I do not see a huge leap compared to the 3k doppelganger versions which is why I decided to get the R5 2600 ($160.00) and a MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC MB last month knowing 3k was around the corner. I am happy and if I want to later this year I can get a 3k CPU if I want something faster (love my R5 2600 though).

So really it is a win/win. 2700k coming down in price/great CPU and the 3k CPUs look great also.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I spent about 50 more on a x470 mobo, the idea was it will last and hopefully take a 3000 new amd better. It can do a 2700 anyway if not. Meantime I have no new games coming from a console, but have some old games to play. So I put a 2400g in there maybe get a year or two from it and no gpu costs, then I can get a rx580 or something, or cpu/gpu if more is needed. Maybe the x470 will OC better with the 2400g and memory, I don't know if it was worth it or not. I rather put a mobo and OS drive in there I can leave for years and not mess with it, just because its easier. That said I waited near 2 months to get the decent x470 Asus prime pro I wanted for under 150 so I was not spending a ton more than cheaper board. Prices seem to be dropping more right now, before that it was hard to figure out with 350/370 amd boards only a few bucks less than newer versions. DDR5 and more pci lanes would be sweet, but cost will be higher and I need a PC now not later.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

How are you running a system without a cpu?

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Sorry lol, I wrote that post rather late at night I think.

I'm using my old computer build, an i7-4790k with integrated gpu.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Well TBH that is still a good CPU. What do you use your PC for? I don't believe gaming as no discrete graphics. Unless you are doing content creation where render times are getting insanely long or other high CPU demanding task that is taking longer than you are willing to wait then I would stay with what you have now. Unless you are really struggling at multicore CPU power you may not notice much difference upgrading to a 2700x.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

I was mainly using it for gaming, but I was tinkering around in Daz studio for a short while, trying to get into animation.

The reason I was planning to just rehaul my computer is due to my current computer, the graphics card got completely shot, and I'm unsure on whether the PSU is at fault, or the motherboard. So rather than just buy one part, and it turns out that isn't the fix, I'd rather just start fresh with a completely new build.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube