add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What kind of power supply is recommended for overclocking

mkmuffen

1 month ago

What level of the power supply is recommended for overclocking CPU and GPU separately and together?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

That all depends on the parts in question and how far are you looking to push them.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

2070 and i7 8700k and I would just be trying to get a good stable performance boost, not the highest possible but something better without pushing it to the edge.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W should be more than enough.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

A good quality 550W PSU will be fine. I'm running an overclocked Ryzen 5 1400, 1070 Ti, Liquid Cooler, 2 Hard drives and 2 SSD's, 7 fans and all the USB peripherals (RGB Keyboard, mouse, mic, bluetooth adapter) on a 450W PSU. A 550W PSU is enough for 90% of personal computers people build.

The most important part of a PSU is the quality of the unit. Getting one with enough wattage is all well and good but is meaningless if you cheap out on it as in the best case scenario, a budget unit will fail sooner and worst case, the safeties on the budget unit are crap and can damage the parts in your case.

I'd suggest grabbing a Corsair TXM or if you want to spend more for a fully modular unit, you could get an RMx, EVGA G2/G3.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Any quality 650 watt power supply will do. The best buy depends on where you live.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Some of the overclock tests show the wattage from the wall, it does go up quite a bit under load. Multiple gpu really go higher or water cooled big OC rigs. Then when you stress the psu and/or vrm you can get voltage droop and noise in the power, both contribute to instability in your OC. If your psu is too big its just one thing you don't have to worry about causing a problem. But there does appear to be plenty of huge psu on the market that most normal systems OC'd would never need, or maybe they are for bitcoin rigs. I mean even 500w is going to heat up a small room that it is in. I had an OC amd back early 2Ks with a 350psu that was large at the time and it would heat up a room gaming, and it did make the electric bill go up. A last point is some say psu are most efficient at half the rated power, so some go for that, but I've not investigated that point.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

normal OC I'm pretty casual here never done OC so I'm not looking to go hardcore on it

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube