add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time upgrading my dated gaming rig! Need help with choice of motherboard and cpu for 144 hz gaming!

MemesAreDreams1
  • 11 months ago

Hi guys!

First time posting here as I really need help with my decisions. I have been using my old 8350fx rig for way too long and its starting to show its age, which is why I chose to take the dive and upgrade as much as I could with the money I have available. As I have mentioned in the title I am looking to upgrade my rig to be suitable for 144 hz gaming as I already own a 144hz monitor, which went fine until now, but I now need some better power to push that frame rate. I don't mind dropping the settings a little bit to go that extra mile as I favor a smooth experience over the looks as long as it doesn't look too shabby. I currently still have a gtx 970 which I want to use in combination with the upgraded rig for a good month until I get more budget to splurge on a decent card. As a first time builder I have been struggling to make a good decision between the different cpus I should choose. I have been looking at the Intel i5 8600k, i5 9600k and i7 8700 (non-x) and on the red side the ryzen 2700x. All of those fit in my budget of around 1000+ NZD, which I could stretch a little if really needed for now. The i5's and ryzen I would look to overclock if possible but I am not too sure how far I would go as I am a novice at this whole thing. My conflict at the moment is if it is actually worth it to go for a pretty expensive motherboard and try to overclock or go for something that gives me good performance on stock clock without having to invest more on the board and a beefy cooler than needed and pocket the difference for a better gpu in the end. Additionally I am looking to use this system as long as I can to prevent having to spend money on a new motherboard again taking that I have heard that the current layouts are at the end of their life cycle, apart from potentially ryzen who would use their am4 for their next set of 3000 series. I am quite open minded in what platform to go with as I am not a fanboy of either platforms, as long as it gives me the performance I need. I also want to add that I might be doing some rendering in the future for my uni work but this isn't one of the major deciding factors.

This is what I have come up with for now! (The purchased items are what I I currently have in my build)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $429.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $113.85 @ PB Technologies
Motherboard Asus - PRIME Z370-A II ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $272.99 @ PB Technologies
Memory Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $173.63 @ PC Force
Storage Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $57.23
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $104.00
Video Card GALAX - GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Infinity Black Edition Video Card Purchased For $350.00
Case NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $138.98 @ PB Technologies
Power Supply Silverstone - Essential 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For $100.00
Monitor Asus - VA326H 31.5" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $450.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2189.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-20 09:36 NZST+1200

Excuse the weird merchants... I'm over here in New Zealand :)

Cheers, Laurin

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Why an 8600k instead of a 9600k?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

U forgot to mark the monitor as purchased. This build you have above is WAY more than 1000 NZD, it's 2.1k on my side.

This would work well for just gaming;

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor $399.00 @ PB Technologies
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $178.25 @ PB Technologies
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $220.00 @ 1stWave Technologies
Video Card Asus - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB DUAL OC Video Card $624.68 @ PC Force
Case NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $138.98 @ PB Technologies
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1560.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-20 14:12 NZST+1200

The 2700 is 130$ cheaper than the 2700x and you can OC it, so why not? The GPU is for a future purchase, so this comes in at just below 1000 NZD.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube