add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A rant in which I decry Google Chrome

Captaincow285

25 days ago

I currently hate Google Chrome.

Firstly, it's the web browser for my school's Chromebooks (duh). With 10 tabs, it runs the latest-gen Celeron CPU right into the ground, and the tabs I have open aren't particularly RAM- or CPU-intensive. I know this Celeron should be able to handle Chrome easily if the browser was proper, because my friend ran Minecraft off his older-gen Windows PC with a Celeron and less RAM than the Chromebook. The slow (20 sec+) load time of simple web pages on my home WiFi is simply unacceptable. UNACCEPTABLE! It's even worse at school, where GMail may take 40 seconds.

It also wants to kill my home PC. I have 5 tabs open on Chrome, in a similar non-resource intense use that I use on my school Chromebook (2 Gmail tabs, 2 other Google services, a Princeton Review tab, and a Sparknotes tab) and it's using 2Gb of RAM and 15-25% of my CPU power. Compared to Firefox, which I am using, at 40+ tabs (including 10 Youtube videos, a GMail tab, and many other resource-intensive tasks) using 10% CPU power at max, and only 4Gb of memory. THIS IS ALSO UNACCEPTABLE. Why should Google Chrome, a browser with which I use lightly, demand the same resources as MY BLOODY AAA GAME! (A note: This game has been long-known to be super-poorly optimized, which tells you how poorly Chrome is running right now). I've tried completely re-installing it, to the same effect.

Finally, the actual browser sucks right now. The UI looks dated compared to even MICROSOFT BLOODY EDGE, which I admit, is a personal preference, but it still sucks. I also loaded Sparknotes on Firefox and Chrome to compare them, and Firefox took 8 seconds, while Chrome took a snail's pace 25. WHY IS THIS!?!?!

AS I WRITE THIS, CHROME IS SUCKING 60% OF MY CPU! WHY!?!?!

I find this sad. Chrome used to be the most amazing browser out there, loading faster than any alternative. What happened?

Thank you for listening to my rant.

Comments

• 25 days ago
  • 3 points

I wonder if you have chrome loaded up with plugins or something that is causing this problem.

It's not uncommon for me to have 50+ tabs open at work in chrome, along with 5+ virtual machines running and the CPU rarely sees much load and it is always responsive.

Also possible the hardware is just too old/slow for chrome to work well..

What specific celeron are we talking about here?

The name "celeron" has been around for over 20 years, it can mean a lot of things.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

We're talking the N350 something, the 8th gen Celeron.

I think my school ruined something; my personal PC did not have the problem until the Chromebooks and associated plugins were rolled out.

• 24 days ago
  • 2 points

Those low powered mobile Celerons are about as powerful as a toaster.

Extra plugins outside of ad/scriptblockers also put in extra strain; especially poorly optimized or overly heavy ones delivered from companies that don't care about such things.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Chrome is infamous for using a lot of RAM in the first place.

IMO Chrome works good for me even with a lot of tabs open; and it has all my bookmarks and stuff.

It could be just the Chromebook being generally crap, but you did say that similar systems haven't had the issues, so...

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Chrome just sucks RAM up. I think Edge is bad. I used chrome all my life. I like chromes look. I normally have 4-10 tabs open and it uses 5 GB. Maybe its just that I justed upgraded to an i7 and 16GB RAM.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube