add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Most Effective Upgrade?

DrMatchu

10 months ago

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on upgrading my PC and switching to MicroATX (will be a living room TV/PC gaming setup so I want a smaller case). My goal is to have a machine that plays modern games at >50fps at medium settings on a 27in monitor, and handles high-definition playback of movies to a large 1080p television, possibly 4k in the near future.

My questions are: Can I keep my GPU? And if so, what are some good CPUs I can pair it with?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor $311.31 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard -
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory -
Storage Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $29.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - Radeon R9 270X 2 GB TWIN FROZR Video Card -
Power Supply Rosewill - Hive 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg Business
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $391.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-24 20:42 EDT-0400

Any parts I get rid of will go to my brother, whose PC just tanked.

Thanks!

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Movies are Easy, and yes, of course you can keep the GPU, Good CPU's for mid grade are the 2600(ryzen) or 8400(intel). Though waiting for 3rd Gen ryzen is good.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Well you will need a new CPU, board, and RAM if you want to go mirco ATX.

I would suggest upgrading the PSU to something better.

This leaves only the storage and GPU left.

What resolution is the monitor? What is your budget?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I left out a lot of info. I'm planning on getting a new mobo, ram, cpu. My main question is what tier of CPU to get without causing a GPU bottleneck.

For storage, I just listed the SSD but I have other hard drives.

Curious, what about the PSU needs upgrading? Is Rosewill a bad brand?

My monitor is 27" 1080p.

So for a Mobo, CPU, RAM, Case, and (possibly) PSU, I'm hoping to spend less than $500.

I appreciate your help

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

My main question is what tier of CPU to get without causing a GPU bottleneck.

That all depends on the game and graphical settings. There is not a blanket answer to this and any CPU can bottleneck any GPU under the right circumstances. Bottlenecking is not a absolute thing or a yes or no thing like it is made out to be.

Also it is 100% meaningless to even think about provided you chose your parts right and get what you want. You should chose the CPU for the FPS you want and the GPU(s) for the graphical performance you want. If you are happy with what you get and meet your goals then why worry about something that is not impacting you?

Farther info: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/214851-on-cpugpu-bottlenecking-in-games

Curious, what about the PSU needs upgrading? Is Rosewill a bad brand?

Its just not a good PSU. Brand is actually largely irrelevant for PSU's and most PC parts, you need to look at the model instead.

Its group regulated which means that it can not out all of its full power on the 12V rail and means under cross load it will perform quite poorly and really makes it not suitable for modern stuff which will have most of the load on the 12V rail.

https://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/psu/160/5

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2qe81b/discussion_psa_dont_buy_rosewill_hive_550w650w/

Made by own OrionFOTL who also runs this site

This PSU uses the exact same platform.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NZXT/HALE82-700-V2/

Here it managed to go out spec on 3 out of 4 rails on the crossload tests. The 3.3V rail managed to go out of spec under transient load. Ripple isn't great, voltage regulation is poor, etc. d Overall it is just a very low end PSU.

Do you want to go ITX instead? While mirco ATX would be smaller it would still be decent sized for a living room set up.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the thorough response. The bottleneck post was very helpful. And I had no idea my PSU was such a lemon.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you missed this at the bottom.

Do you want to go ITX instead? While mirco ATX would be smaller it would still be decent sized for a living room set up.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

That PSU you have, is just a regular PSU mostly for low end builds.

Good enough 6, 7 or 8 years ago, but the time has come to replace it with a better unit.

I made two builds, so you can choose according to your needs.

Both builds are way less that $500!

~AMD~

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $179.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $75.71 @ Amazon
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $85.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card MSI - Radeon R9 270X 2 GB TWIN FROZR Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Amazon
Total $401.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-24 22:46 EDT-0400

~Intel

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $167.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $23.52
Motherboard ASRock - B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $83.88 @ OutletPC
Memory ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $75.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card MSI - Radeon R9 270X 2 GB TWIN FROZR Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Amazon
Total $411.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-24 22:49 EDT-0400
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

This is very helpful, thanks! I'd probably go with the AMD route. As far as RAM goes, would I be correct in saying 8gb is enough for just playing games, but if I were to have a video playing on the TV while playing a game on the monitor the extra 8gb would make a significant difference in performance?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

If you just play a game on one Monitor and just watch a video on a second one, 8GB should suffice.

If you do play a game on the one screen and you run 40 taps with Chrome on the second one plus a video, then maybe 8GB wouldn't be enough.

However i would spend these $35 more for getting double the Ram capacity, to be sure i wouldn't run out of Ram in a worse case scenario.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Makes sense, thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube