add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Quick m.2 question

DanDan825
  • 9 months ago

Hi all, I have a question, would a NVMe m.2 slot be able to have a SATA m.2 in it, or is there always 2 SATA and an NVMe m.2 spots on the motherboard? Thanks.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on the board.

Not all are wired for both standards or have two M.2 slots.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*1

AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processor : *2

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

*1 The M.2_2 slot shares with PCIE x16. When M.2_2 slot runs in PCIE mode, the PCIE x16 slot will run at x8 mode.

*2 M.2_2 is unsupported when using these CPUs.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-I-GAMING/specifications/

Only one supports Sata the other is disabled on APU or PCIe only with CPU.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

APU takes 8 pcie lanes from your gpu, is that saying with CPU the 2nd M.2 will take away 8 lanes also? I'll have to check my prime x470 and see if it does that.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

APU only have x8 for the GPU connection.

They are not desktop based parts but repurposed mobile so they don't need a full x16 since mobile GPU don't use a x16 connection.

In this case Asus can't split the graphics lanes to gain a second M.2 since there isn't x16 to split off of, and you would be dropping to x4 for the graphics card.

Edit: On Your board.

AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

AMD 7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors :

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode)

AMD X470 chipset :

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 2 mode)*3

*1.The PCIe x16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe x1_1 and PCIe x1_3

*2 The M.2_2 socket shares PCIe clock with PCIe x1_1. When PCIe x1_1 or PCIe x1_3 is occupied, the M.2_2 socket can only support SATA mode.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/specifications/

There are similar limitations including slots.

With an APU only PCIe x2 is supported through chipset lanes and the main is restricted to Sata3.

With CPU or APU Your second M.2 is also restricted to Sata if the x1 slots are also in use with say a wireless card for example.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

So with the x470 if I do not use x1 pcie slot 1 or 3 it will do pci x2 on the second m.2. I mean, you don't want to buy a second m.2 that does fast nvme if it can only do sata3 right, you might as well get a cheaper sata m.2. I don't know how fast pci x2 (pci 3.0 x2 lanes) is with nvme, one post I found said 1970mb/s max, so possibly an intel 660 at 1800mb/s spec would still max out on it. My main m.2 is a gammix s11 3200mb/s, the only drive in it with a 2400g.

While with the rog strix b450 you can't even use the second m.2 with an APU, and with a CPU the second one cuts your gpu lanes to x8 which could be an issue if you have a big gpu, I know you can run a rx580 on 8 lanes not sure where it starts to limit it. If I understand correctly, thanks for the posts Gilroar.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube