add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Development + Streaming + Limited Gaming build

stubborn

7 months ago

Primary Use:

1) Development Machine - run many browser windows/tabs, Full stack .Net/Java/Python/JavaScript/Android development with respective IDEs, Database and web servers/Containers and Virtual Machines to develop code, CI/CD pipelines to try deployment strategies, some Machine learning and AI prototyping

2) Plex Server + media/data storage (and I backup from this computer to multiple externals)

3) Occasional light gaming (won't overclocking) - not very picky on latest games and best frame rates

I plan to run Windows 10 professional or some linux distro natively with some virtualized development environments within. Should be able to drive two monitors (preferably 3 or future use case). Don't want the machine to be very loud. I'll have two external USB 3 drives always plugged in and then webcam, wireless kb/mouse etc. So Motherboard just needs enough ports. Also I struggle with tight assemblies. So whatever can make the assembly easy is good.

I have OS , Monitors, Keyboard, Mouse. Also have a new in box four year old Unopened PSU - CORSAIR CS550M 550W 80 PLUS GOLD Semi Modular which hopefully I can use?

So how does this look?(putting sale prices below)

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 with Wraith Spire Cooler, Gigabyte B450M DS3H, CPU / Motherboard Bundle @Microcenter - $120

1TB Intel 660p QLC 3D NAND NVMe SSD -> $100

WD Blue 4TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache -> $80

32 GB (4 x 8GB) ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 DDR4 3000 -> $140

ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 560 4GB - $100

Thermaltake V200 Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case -> $70

Total = $610

fwiw I just sold for $450 the tower I used all these years which was a Evga 550W PSU, GigaByte board, i5 2500K, Antec 300 version Two Case, Nvidia GTX 750-Ti 2 GB OC video card, 500 GB Samsung Evo SSD, WD Red 3 TB HDD & 16 GB DDR3 RAM. I've been reasonably happy with it, except that at times running couple of IDEs and few chrome browser tabs and a virtual machine etc, it felt like it could be faster. And then minor inconveniences like lack of USB 3 headers on Mobo, the fact that case could be probably smaller etc. So ideally looking to not spend a lot more, yet get a machine that will be an improvement over what I had in every aspect and suit my needs. But of course if anything significantly improves my experience based on use case listed above, I would rather spend money there.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

2 things,

One, what games are you playing (my specialty)

Two, Looks good, though for your type of work a 1700 or 2600/2700 would be better, as the 1600 is an older CPU with only 6 cores and a low clock speed.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I played some overwatch and cod mw2 when they were out. The new mortal Kombat too. Is the video card I listed above at least as good as the 750 ti I had?

Tbh I might be playing even less demanding games with the new build..i.e even if I find time.

Is the bump to 1700 for around $100 more, worth it for the use case I described?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

the bump to the 1700 would be good for your type of work, but it's up to you to spend the extra 100$

About the GPU's

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-750-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-560/2187vs3926

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, the bump to the 580 would be of much better value (30$ for 130% performance) https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-580-vs-AMD-RX-560/3923vs3926

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube