add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Very retro build, how to get around SSE2...

codezer0

7 months ago

Working with a very retro build for sentimental reasons. Specs are an Athlon XP 3200+, 2GB DDR400 memory, Abit KW7 motherboard, and Radeon HD 2600pro. Anyways, that part isn't the issue.

The issue is, awkwardly, i forgot that Socket A AMD didn't have SSE2 instructions. So in a paradox, no current supported browser will install; at the same time, no currently supported antivirus does, either. On the flip side, most any malware or such out on the net probably work because it lacks these instructions. But if possible, I would like to still be able to say, go to an abandonware site to download suitable games to it directly. And at the moment, just stuck with the last build of Internet Explorer XP did get, which is its own bag of worms, if you get my meaning. Yes, it might be possible to simply sneaker-net them over, but i would find it more convenient if i could just connect it to the network, get online and do so from it. Even if it's just to remote desktop and run the site(s) and downloads from there. That said, I'm not really well versed into alternative browsers or antivirus for older computers, so this is uncharted territory for me.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

If I could I would recommend Linux, specifically AntiX or Ubuntu MATE, but I assume you want to stick with Windows, implying you would need to go with an old browser. One such browser is Netscape Navigator 9, which actually has a large number of features for a browser of its age. There is SRWare Iron, which has an archive of old Chromium based browsers (download version 33, it's the latest to work, as 34 and above require SSE2). One great one is QTWeb, I recommend giving it a try though I'm not 100% sure if it needs SSE2 or not, I don't think it does.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, Linux and I... Do not get along. Even with so-called specialized distros for the ps3 that were supposed to enable it to become an emulation station, i could never get it to work. No two installations ever worked the same, either. Not kidding when i say, the last *nix based anything that didn't end up making me want to tear my hair out, was OS X.

Asked the wife and she had one of her friends mention Pale Moon; i saw a couple of third party forks for it, including one that was even made for cpu's lacking even first-gen SSE. Just not sure if i need to go that far, but not ruling that out.

Still, it is strange. XP might complain about the lack of antivirus, since Microsoft itself stopped supporting its own they made ages ago. On the flip side, most any malware now would likely be compiled expecting a more modern cpu. So maybe by nature of inability, it won't be a problem?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say there isn't a real need for an antivirus on XP unless you're doing something valuable with this system, which I do not recommend. There are definitely more security problems on XP than modern Windows, and vulnerabilities in XP are usually not patched unless they are extremely serious. Antivirus won't help with that anyways, though.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Likely not. In part it is a sort of tribute to the Socket A era when I first started building my own PC's; partly for more period correct gaming.

I've had some people try to tell me i should install Windows 98(se) on it. I might be nostalgic for some games from the era, but definitely not nostalgic for the OS. Also, my own cursory research suggests that, even if i did want to, Windows 9# would limit me to a boot drive of ~127gb, and (without unofficial service packs) 512MB of system RAM. Even though i do have some sticks and a laptop drive that would fit the bill, end of the line for GPU drivers was around the FX 5900 series from nvidia. Even still, at least those who do more stuff with that era consistently say that for anything made after even 2001, Windows XP was just much more efficient with it. Finally, what few DOS era games I would care about running, all can run either natively in XP or in some enhanced source port, like Duke3D. Maybe if i ended up with something truly collectible and/or exotic, like an aforementioned FX card or even a 3dfx Voodoo card, i might break down and make it a 98 based machine. Otherwise, bother that nonsense.

On the flip side, it's rather amazing that thanks to a loyal and vocal enough minority of competitive SuperPi overclockers, that evga actually bothered to make custom Windows XP drivers for the x299 Dark motherboard. Couple that with a slipstream patch that makes PAE actually work like it was intended to, and one could have an XP install with n cores and up to 128GB of system memory recognized. That would be ludicrous overkill! Just a shame that end of the line for GPU's on XP stopped well before that.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube