add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Very retro build, how to get around SSE2...

codezer0

1 day ago

Working with a very retro build for sentimental reasons. Specs are an Athlon XP 3200+, 2GB DDR400 memory, Abit KW7 motherboard, and Radeon HD 2600pro. Anyways, that part isn't the issue.

The issue is, awkwardly, i forgot that Socket A AMD didn't have SSE2 instructions. So in a paradox, no current supported browser will install; at the same time, no currently supported antivirus does, either. On the flip side, most any malware or such out on the net probably work because it lacks these instructions. But if possible, I would like to still be able to say, go to an abandonware site to download suitable games to it directly. And at the moment, just stuck with the last build of Internet Explorer XP did get, which is its own bag of worms, if you get my meaning. Yes, it might be possible to simply sneaker-net them over, but i would find it more convenient if i could just connect it to the network, get online and do so from it. Even if it's just to remote desktop and run the site(s) and downloads from there. That said, I'm not really well versed into alternative browsers or antivirus for older computers, so this is uncharted territory for me.

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube