add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ryzen 3000 on x470?

DanDan825
  • 10 months ago

I have bought an x470 mobo (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6hF48d/asus-prime-x470-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-x470-pro) And was wondering if it would work with the ryzen 3000 series, and maybe overclocking. Thanks.

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

If ASUS updates the BIOS to a more recent version, then yes.

I think it should be BIOS ver. 4801

Overclocking shouldn't be a problem unless you opt for an 12 core processor.

65 and 95 Watt TDP Ryzen 3000 processors should be OK, i don't know for CPUs with a higher TDP than 95.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Would it be cabal of overclocking you think?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know what cabal means (:-P) but except that, i would first try to run such a processor with the PB speeds first.

These processors should perform better than any similar overclocked Ryzen 2000 series CPU.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

capable. ughh my spelling sucks. Thanks again.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

capable.

Oh! OK. lol

If you did say cap. / maybe i would figure it out. :-P

You're welcome :)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The X470 Prime Pro handles a 105w TDP 2700X very nicely, so you should be good power-wise with any of the 3000's at least stock. I haven't seen any published overclocked power draws yet.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a Gigabyte X470 board and I am wondering the same thing. I plan to get the 3850X (16c/32t) so I hope it works out, otherwise I'll get an X570 board and I will benifit.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Better to start Your own topic then hijack someone else's.

But to answer Your question.

3850X (16c/32t)

Not a thing. the 12c/24t is being called the 3900X with a $499usd price so any 16-core part is going to be labeled and priced higher.

There isn't a full answer to that working yet if AMD even launches it.

From what manufacturers are saying the higher core count parts are pulling way more power then the boards were designed around, so there may be hard restrictions put in place to safeguard against component failure such as reduced boost clock speeds, or locking overclocking completely on older boards if AMD even chooses to launch a 16-core part this generation.

What we do know is the boards will hard lock down to the currently available PCIe Gen 3.0/2.0 and there will be no 4.0 on 400/300 series motherboards.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends which Gigabyte X470 board you have.

If you have the Ultra gaming, i would definitely change the board for a better one.

That board needs some serious airflow over that VRMs otherwise it would even throttle at some scenarios with an 2700X with PB2 on very demanding applications like blender for example.

Thew VRM design isn't something to write home about, and neither the heat-sinks over the mosfets are the best possible for an X470 chip-set board either. So even if it's an X470 chip-set board everything else on that board applies to an budget board.

And honestly there are B450 boards that are way better than this X470 one.

Theoretically a X470 board should have a more robust VRM power design, but that board just doesn't follow that rule.

It's pretty fine for overclocking a 6 core hyper threaded processor though, if you exclude the fact that it doesn't have LLC.

The only board that you can consider as decent with today CPU standards is the X470 Aorus Gaming 7.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the same mobo and when I researched it everyone said it should work fine with the new processors, but sure it will be limited to the pci lanes it has and possibly 2000 core counts, etc, not sure why anyone would expect it to support everything new cpu may do with a mobo designed long before those new cpu came out. The vrm is almost the same as the rog strix version, it seemed to be one of the best x470 without going ultra on cost and lot of people OC stuff on the net with it and had good results. I had my memory running at 3600 in a few minutes with a 2400g. That said its my busy time of year now and not had time to game on it, and had to track down a router issue that locked some of my PC off the net. Always something. That was another reason I found this to be a good board for me is it has most features now, but in the future if it needs upgrading then I wont lose the cost of a top of line mobo. I could run a 2700x on it for while then upgrade later if it has issue with 3000 processors.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube