add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming/streaming pc upgrade help

raythepurple

7 months ago

So this is the PC I use now and have had for several years, an iBUYPOWER i-series 301

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Cooler: Zalman CNPS 80F (replaced original with same) Mobo: MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) GPU: AMD ATI Radeon R7 200 series Ram: DDR3 8GB 800mhz CASE: ARC 647 PSU: Insignia 450W (recent upgrade from the 400W that came with it) HDD: 232GB Seagate & 465GB Toshiba

A while ago I won a giveaway for a Ryzen 5 1600 w Wraith Spire cooler, still new in box, which I'd like to use. I just bought a new ramkit (then kind of hesitated on the rest): Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200Mhz 288pin For motherboard I was thinking ASUS Prime B450-A/CSM

I might need a new case...the front headphone socket is acting kind of funny - only sounds right if I turn the jack just right, so the audio card might be failing (I know it's not the headset). For GPU I was thinking an RX 580 but that may be more than I want to spend. I know my storage sucks, but I'm not really concerned with it right now. I really want to figure out Mobo/ram/case/gpu situation. I have the ram, may be willing to return for something better suited to this solution. Budget not that big, ~$90 if I return ram, 80-100 for mobo, maybe $150 for gpu and if I need a new case I'll probably go up to $60 but I've seen a couple decent options for 40-45.

and yeah I stream on Twitch if that helps decide the situation. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

RAM no need to return, perfect for the Ryzen

Here are the other parts (MOBO/GPU/Case):

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.99 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor - Radeon RX 570 4 GB RED DRAGON Video Card $119.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $46.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $63.86 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $330.83
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $310.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-01 21:34 EDT-0400

EDIT: Added A-Tier PSU

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

good use of the budget and adding in the MAtx case for the MOBO, many people just leave out the case, and te small motherboards look out of place in the large ATX cases. One thing i would do is trying to use that extra GPu budget to try to get a better brand, preferably XFX or Sapphire, as powercolor does not have as good of reviews or performance compared to them. I personally recommend sapphire if you can find one for that price.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd upgrade the PSU too just to be on the safe side. When did you purchase the RAM?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI - B450M BAZOOKA V2 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $74.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus - Radeon RX 570 8 GB AREZ Expedition Video Card $139.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case $54.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $50.00 @ Walmart
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $319.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-01 21:07 EDT-0400
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The RAM arrived today, haven't opened it. I was considering returning it when someone on discord told me about some Ripjaws 3600mhz 2x8 for $80 but then realized a motherboard to use it would be really expensive.

Is that PSU even an upgrade? Mine is 450W, 80+ white certified and the one you listed is 450W, 80+ Bronze...

Thank you.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It will lower the power bills of the house, since it doesn't need to pull as much energy.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

If it was my money and I was working to the same kind of budget I seriously don't think I'd swap out one I'd only just bought. If I was doing a more expensive build certainly, but he's clearly on a very tight budget.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU is a much needed upgrade, ratings are not the only things that matter when choosing a PSU. The 80+ (such as bronze, silver, gold, white.etc) designation is only an efficiency rating, and has absolutely nothing to do with quality.

Quote by JonnyGuru, on this PSU:

Horrible PSU unless you're only using it as a fancy paper weight.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube