add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Heavily modifying S340 Elite questions

Datamatr1x

7 months ago

The s340 Elite thermals are poo and so I have been considering some modding to fix it.

My plan is to cut a 280mm hole in the front panel and covering it with an aluminum mesh. Then behind the mesh I will mount 2x140mm static pressure fans as an intake for my Kraken X62. Beyond the radiator will be 2 additional fans pulling air through the radiator. Eyeballing all of this it looks absolutely possible and pretty simple.

Any reason this won't work?

Thanks for any discussion. Looking forward to my first serious modding.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So it sounds like you are going to mount the fans, radiator (which will also have pull fans attached) all onto the front panel. Do you think the front panel will be able to securely mount all of that without too much vibration? The front panel is removable, not like mounting it onto the chassis itself. Also, if you cut a 280mm hole, you need to make sure you leave some panel for the screws to mount everything.

Honestly, if thermals are really a big concern, maybe try running some tests first with just the front panel removed. Maybe just use your case that way? As someone who has tried push/pull on radiators before, IMO it's not worth it. It depends on the quality of the extra fans you use, and the better they are, the more you pay. Plus it really is a case of diminishing returns (maybe 10% decrease in temps at best for the extra fans). Unless you are seriously overclocking your system (like beyond the mild 5% increase in performance), I would stick to one set of good fans on your radiator. And speaking of good fans, the Kraken X62 Aer P fans are good static pressure fans.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube