add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help creating an Intel-based home server for FreeNAS and Plex

mhweb

6 months ago

I created this part list (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4hsd3b) using AMD parts with the intention to create a small and quiet FreeNAS server that also run the Plex plugin. I like AMD, but it's always recommended to use Intel parts. So, I was wondering if anyone could help me to create a similar hardware configuration (the amount of hard drive 8 sata ports on the motherboard and the case are very important) but using Intel parts.

Also, do you think the AMD part list that I created is overkill for FreeNAS and about 3 people streaming Plex around house?

Thanks,

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the Intel recommendation for FreeNAS came largely from a piece dating to 2015, when the AMD offering was the sub-standard bulldozer / piledriver line.

In terms of finding an mATX, Coffee Lake capable, 8 SATA port motherboard, it looks like you're out of luck; pcpartpicker doesn't list any such animal. There are a couple of Asrock ATX Z390 mobos satisfying the 8 port requirement. Or, you could stop a 6 SATA ports on the mobo and add a SATA PCIe controller card if you need to.

And yes, the power supply in your AMD list is grossly over-spec'ed. Not that it hurts anything except for your wallet.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the answer!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

ks is correct. if you look at their forum etc now it equal on both amd and intel.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Could you provide a link? I'm still stumbling in those pages that recommend Intel only. Thanks,

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

i will dig around my save links and see if i can find it. also not mention nor ask. are you doing any 4k streams or 1080p streams?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks.

At this time, it's going to be 1 to 3 simultaneous 1080p streams, but if I'll be spending this kind of money, I want it to be capable of at least 2 simultaneous 4k streaming.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube