add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget Content Creation Laptop

Creatorbros3

5 months ago

Hello,

I built a desktop recently (https://pcpartpicker.com/b/YqQZxr) which I use for 4K video editing and 3D VFX. My main software is Davinci Resolve, which is a GPU powered editing program. It has worked like a charm and has given me very few issues.

I am looking to add a computer to my workflow for the road. I want something that will allow me to empty off memory cards onto external HDDs and SSDs, run business programs (the Microsoft Office Suite), and do some minor editing for quick client viewing and feedback.

Obviously, I have my big rig back home for the intense work, so this doesn’t need to be a full fledged mobile workstation, but it does need to be able to power Davinci enough to do basic cuts and a color grade.

Some features I really liked about my desktop are the SSD enabled short startup times (so an SSD is a must), and the Ryzen 2700 processor. I don’t need much internal storage however. Here’s a model I had my eye on, so if you could give feedback on it (if one would work for my uses, or if there’s a completely different model that’s better within that same price range) that’d be awesome!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456921-REG

So, basic spec list: Ryzen 7 Processor 16GB RAM 256-512GB SSD 13-15.6” Screen (1080p+) $800 (+/- $$)

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

The Vega 10 integrated graphics are pretty weak, maybe 90% the performance of the MX150. But, since you're just using it for basic editing with minimal effects, you should be fine.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. Knowing that Davinci was primarily GPU powered, I’d wondered about that. The effects would be VERY minimal, just some color corrections and slight grades. No visual (special) effects at all.

That is the only thing I don’t like about the Ryzen Laptop platform right now, they haven’t been developed enough to put dedicated graphics in any of them yet. If you want a dedicated card, you’re stuck with Intel. It’s fine I guess as the performance differences aren’t major, I’m just a self-declared AMD Ryzen fanboy. :P

Thank you for the quick feedback! I appreciate it!

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

No problem! I hope you find the perfect laptop.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

This is the best I can find, you probably want to buy a gaming laptop then upgrade ram and sotrage because the GPu is better, Yknow? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074VLX5XV/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B074VLX5XV&linkCode=as2

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! It’s a bit more expensive than I was looking for. My plan with anything I get would be to eventually upgrade to 32GB RAM. I’m only needing probably 256GB SSD for storage. I work all externally minus a large project work drive in my desktop. So I’m not too worried about storage. I am trying to find something with a GPU, but I also prefer Ryzen, so that’s a bit of a difficulty. I’m not needing much on either side of the processing cores, CPU or GPU, since I’ve got a desktop workstation that’s kitted out with all the power I need for now. Just basic editing and business management processes.

Thank you for the suggestions though. I’ll look into some of MSI’s cheaper offerings. (My goal is around $750-800)

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

alright,fair enough.

Hard to find laptops for that cheap that do what they need to do huh? :/

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube