add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can i have 8 fans? (need help)

Ricardo1221

5 months ago

I have just bought the lian li 011 dynamic case and im wanting to put 8 RGB fans in the case. My mother board is the strix Z270F, can i use 1 to 4 rgb splitters and for power can i split that over the fan headers again with splitters?

TIA

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Not a good idea to split the power. For the fans you can't plug into the MB, plug them into the PSU with a molex adapter. The only issue would be that the fans connected to the PSU would be at full speed all the time (no speed control) but that isn't a big deal (unless they are really noisy :) Here is something like what you need: https://www.newegg.com/p/2RM-001U-00003?item=9SIAAXT6RN2720&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc-_-pla-koolertek-_-heatspreaders+%2f+heatsinks-_-9SIAAXT6RN2720&gclid=CjwKCAjwqNnqBRATEiwAkHm2BCmdCFEN3GYurhtfOut7zdlNU7wy-k4K7aCwjUhqjFxEY6IXP4eb6hoCSYEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! Right ok yeah doesnt really bother me that theyre running full speed if it isnt them all :). Thanks for the link and thanks for the advice!!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with kjandreano, you probably shouldn't use splitters, but you could use a fan hub, as they usually get fan speed input from one pwm header, then a sata connector is used for supplemental power. At least then the fans would change according to temps, so not 100% all the time.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Ive seen a fan hub thats 4 fan hub so id need two of them to power all 8, so thats 4 fans to one header which i worried would be abit much for one header. I thought about the 1 to 2 splitters so it would be 2 fans to one header which i thought would be less power being pulled but is that wrong?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Commander-Powered-4-Pin-AC-023-AN1NAN-A1/dp/B01G9BEC5W/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=fan+hub&qid=1566083828&s=gateway&sr=8-7 You could use something like this, which is SATA powered, but has 10 ports for fans, one port for PWM input, and one input for SATA Power. Relatively inexpensive too, at just over $20 US.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh nice and that will still allow me to control fan speeds? Sorry i know abit but not loads, you dont ask you dont learn kinda thing. Thanks alot for taking time to reply though

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It will, but the fans will all go at the same speed. So they wouldn't be running at 100% all the time unless you told them to. You would basically control all of the fans as if they were one.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube