add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus Prime Z390-A Good enough for 9900kf?

Reedyy

5 months ago

Hey everyone!

I wanna upgrade my build, because I am currently running a z97 with an i4770k and I am going to an i9 9900kf and a 2080ti. I bought some 16GB white 3200 ballistix ram, a good looking white case with black windows from sharkoon. Now to finish up the build I already ordered an Asus Prime Z390-A MB to match up the other white parts. My question now is, if this MB will be fine for my i9 9900kf because I read that the VRM is not the best? I wont really overclock it because I mainly play overwatch and that game will crash played on overclocked hardware, thats what I experienced at least and read in some other forums. Anyways I am not willing to overclock it a lot.

So should I be worried about my 9900kf?

I dont really wanna send the MB back, because I dont have enough my money to buy a 2nd one and I also don't want to wait until my retailer refunds me that money. (usually takes up 2 weeks where I live.)

Thanks for your advice!!

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

If you aren't overclocking, or only doing a modest overclock, it will be fine. VRM issues among otherwise competent boards should only arise when you're pushing the chip hard.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

That's not true. Some boards with really cheap VRMs like the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 have VRMs that will throttle even stock boost for the 9900k. I've seen those boards throttle the boost down to 4.5GHz from the stock 4.7GHz after 20 minutes under load. That said, I believe this board should be able to handle the 9900k at stock at least.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe it will be fine with an i9-9900KF and boost clocks only.

Also that processor doesn't have an IGP and that's even better.

Just buy a good air cooler and as long as you don't hit very high CPU temps at load, this processor should not throttle.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

For the cooling I got a Corsair Hydro Water Cooling System, so cooling should be fine ig

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

and thanks for all the answers

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube