add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Be Quiet! as radiator fans

Essex23

3 months ago

So I am about to (finally!) pull the trigger on getting everything for my water-cooling loop, and just saw the new Be Quiet! Shadow Wings fans in white. Well, bugger me...I thought I had my fans chosen perfectly for silent operation (Noctua's of course)....but now... le sigh.

So now I am wondering if these new fans would be a good use for radiator fans. Some say since I am using the Hardware Labs 360 GTS ultra-this rads with a low FPI, that any fan will work, and others still swear by high SP fans like the Noctua's.

So what would some more educated opinions than mine be on the topic? Shadow Wings to better match my black & white theme, or stick with Noctua?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The shadow wings seem to be inclined towards air pressure, too

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to get to the facts SP vs AF their really almost no difference it's more of a marketing ploy to make more money. People in general will believe anything it's like adding that word gaming to a mothe9rboard or keyboard it must be better so they can charge more. https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/dominic-moass/static-pressure-vs-airflow-fans-is-there-a-real-difference/3/

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

The Silent Wings 3 fans are much better static pressure fans than those Shadow Wings (compared the ratings on be quiet's own site). Just based on what I saw, the Shadow Wings 120 max out at 1100 RPM which is pretty slow, but obviously they are silent. The pressure only shows as 0.82mm/H20 however. The Silent Wings 3 120 spin up to 1450 RPM and push 1.79mm/H20 at almost the same noise level 15.9dBA vs 16.4dBA on the Silent Wings 3. I would advise against the high speed PWM versions as those somehow broke for me every time I've used them. They just randomly go nuts and spin up to max RPM which is around 2200 and then ramp back down to the speed I set them at (which is usually 50%). When they spin up to full, they are loud (I mean those high speed PWM ones). Don't get those as you don't really need to run them that fast as 1450 is plenty (and still quiet). If I go for a silence focused non RGB build, I will definitely go with those in the future (Silent Wings 3 120mm fans).

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I am not planning on putting my fan speed any higher than 50% at the most. From what I am understanding of the rads I am getting, they are designed for low RPM fan speeds seeing as they are 16 FPI rads and only 30mm thick.

So I am thinking the Shadow Wings may be fine for what I am planning, especially since I am not overclocking anything, just doing a custom loop for consistent cooling across all components. Not like I am running two 2080 Ti's or anything. lol Just a Ryzen 2700X and 2 Strix 1070 Ti's. My main focus is on silence though. Tired of hearing the fans in the system when it is 3 feet away.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube